Frustrated...

Xarcell

WARNING - Rant

I bought a xF license a few short months back. I tried to use it to power a major project, but it didn't work out. So now I had to switch back to SMF.

OMG, SMF is a cluster-*uck. There is just way too much ego flying around. Everyone is wanting to fork each other's software & mods, where in half the cases they are welcome to join the team and help build a better software. It's like everyone wants to fork other people software, instead of helping with it, just to take all the glory. What Bull*****.

I really miss xF. I love the community, I love the none-ego boasting developers, and just how friendly it is around here. This software is great and still is the best!

While converting my project back to SMF, it has been an utter nightmare. I have made hundreds(maybe thousand) template changes just to make it look better and more SEO friendly, but some issues are so inter-graded into the core that I can't fix it.

You just don't know how I miss the swift, lightweight fluid feeling of using xF. :( :(

Cheers to you guys.

Well, consider using XF again... :)

I wish I could, I tried, but I can't...

I need to have the ability to auto-assign age to a membergroup. This is the single most important thing for running my project. I cannot do this with xF without a cron job, which with a large user-base, can cause performance issues.

I wish I could, I tried, but I can't...

I need to have the ability to auto-assign age to a membergroup. This is the single most important thing for running my project. I cannot do this with xF without a cron job, which with a large user-base, can cause performance issues.
Sorry I haven't looked at the registration code, but if what you are saying is that when someone registers, you automatically want that person to go to a specific member group based on his/her age, that should be a very simple thing to do. Sorry I am not familiar with the code but it seems to me that all that would require is a usergroup override before saving the registration data. If you ask any developer here, they should be able to point you in the right direction.

Sorry I haven't looked at the registration code, but if what you are saying is that when someone registers, you automatically want that person to go to a specific member group based on his/her age, that should be a very simple thing to do. Sorry I am not familiar with the code but it seems to me that all that would require is a usergroup override before saving the registration data. If you ask any developer here, they should be able to point you in the right direction.

Yes, and we have done that with a very small modification. The problem is that when a user birthday comes around, it doesn't update. Need a cron job to continue checking for birthdays(everyday) and be sure to place them in the new age group and remove from the old one.

Had a similar experience moving to xF, but I am not looking back. Already spent money, time and energy building my xf powered site and switching back would mean throwing everything to the trash.

I'm also running a site powered by a modified version of SMF, and the few times I have asked for support, I've received it. About "ego flying around" I haven't really noticed it, but it's understandable, there is ego flying around here, too.

Your problem is insignificant, compared to mine. You could've hired a coder to implement the missing feature and you'd be set. I know spending more money on features that you believe should be in the core isn't the solution you and I are looking for, but that's the best at the moment and more so if you are monetizing your site.

I hope you don't quit SMF later on, but quitters always quit.

Had a similar experience moving to xF, but I am not looking back. Already spent money, time and energy building my xf powered site and switching back would mean throwing everything to the trash.

I'm also running a site powered by a modified version of SMF, and the few times I have asked for support, I've received it. About "ego flying around" I haven't really noticed it, but it's understandable, there is ego flying around here, too.

Your problem is insignificant, compared to mine. You could've hired a coder to implement the missing feature and you'd be set. I know spending more money on features that you believe should be in the core isn't the solution you and I are looking for, but that's the best at the moment and more so if you are monetizing your site.

I hope you don't quit SMF later on, but quitters always quit.

Funny, considering you don't fully know the situation. I "have" hired coders at both SMF(well over 1k) and some here at xF in the beginning. It's not as simple a that, if it was, I wouldn't be talking about it. This project has been on-going for 2 years. SMF seems to never reach 2.0 Gold, as it's been in RC stages almost 2 years, not counting since 2.0 development.

I was willing to give all that up, the time, work, and money to come to XenForo. I think it's that good, and worth paying to have those mods done all over again. However I can't get past one Major feature I need to make it work with XenForo, and I had to switch back to SMF. I'm simply stating I wish I didn't have too.

As far as ego's flying around SMF, I have been involved in numerous portal projects, conversions, and the following some forks. I have been around SMF before it was SMF, back when it was YaBB. Support isn't the issue over there. The SMF folks are fighting among themselves, and development is on hold because of it. Currently over a legal dispute among management with a license change. I won't go into details because because I'm sick of thinking about it.

I'm just saying I miss using XenForo and wish it would have worked out. I enjoying watching Mike & Kier working together to make a better product, instead of them bickering amongst themselves like children, because someone's ego was hurt. That's one of the downsides to free software I reckon...

I'm just saying XenForo has got their sh*t together, unlike vBulletin and SMF.

Ever heard of custom-coded sites? Invest in coders, don't rely on third-party software, especially if big project.

Anyway, good luck!

I would stay away from Smf if I was you. It is a very crappy product who has been in development for version 2 like in ages. Take Kier up on his offer and spare yourself the frustrations with Smf.

I started with SMF and a few members do have large egos that are off putting. Kindred or whatever, it doesn't leave a good impression when the "Operations Manger" leaves ego/stubborn remarks in response to criticism and feedback. Their fanbase seems rather loyal, when xenforo was first announced and I made a thread over there very few members "understood" why xenforo was amazing. Although I think most of them are getting impatient and tired of waiting for 2.0.

I started with SMF and a few members do have large egos that are off putting. Kindred or whatever, it doesn't leave a good impression when the "Operations Manger" leaves ego/stubborn remarks in response to criticism and feedback. Their fanbase seems rather loyal, when xenforo was first announced and I made a thread over there very few members "understood" why xenforo was amazing. Although I think most of them are getting impatient and tired of waiting for 2.0.
I think you'll find that to some extent with any community surrounding a software product where there are passionate feelings about the application. I know that there is a widespread feeling that this very community here is garnering a somewhat negative reputation because of the passion that certain members feel, which often comes across to outsiders as stubborn opinionatedness and clique-rule.

Top Bottom