Friends by Waindigo [Deleted]

Hello
I reinstalled and still getting same error.

Thank you for any help you can offer when you have the time. Hope you've enjoyed the Olympics!

I just installed this add-on into my test server and I have to say, the add-on works as intended so cheers for that. But I did have some gripes.
The first one is the requirement to follow before friending and then even moreso, the requirement to follow before confirming a friend request ie... when someone friend requests you, you have to follow them in order to confirm it.

It's not that big of a deal for true friends, but many of us use these lists for different reasons so an option NOT to require following would have been nice. Unless it's there and I just completely missed it somehow.

The second and last gripe I had is the branding. Before I say anymore, first let me say this. The Author of the mod has stated that you can hide and move the branding all you want. But you cannot delete it.
-Source.

My issue is that I purchased xF with branding removal so that's a pretty decent chunk of change there. Then when I installed this mod, it replaced the xF brand that I literally just spent money on to remove by using the words "
Certain
XenForo add-ons by Waindigo
™ ©2011-2012
Waindigo Limited
" instead of just the author.

I'm all for giving credit where credit is due and my site has a page designed specially for credits, but I did pay for xenForo branding removal so an add-on that then credits xenForo as well leaves much to be desired. Not to mention that the brand is placed top center of the forum instead of in the footer like standard practices.

The easy fix is to delete out the xenForo text and replace it with "Certain add-ons by Waindigo..." then place the brand in my site where my credits go, but that also requires some going into the coding which is something I don't feel comfortable doing.

Again, these aren't trouble issues and for anyone that knows a bit about coding, these aren't issues at all. So the add-on itself would get 4 stars from me. But for someone that is just a plain non-talented user such as myself, the fact that I now have to go into the coding to make some changes or hire someone else to do it is a bit annoying.

This enables you to remove the copyright.

I say this as respectfully as possible, if you won't read through the post, please don't reply to it.

Before I say anymore, first let me say this. The Author of the mod has stated that you can hide and move the branding all you want. But you cannot delete it.
-Source.

I have a simple request to all developers of add-ons. Credit your work all you want but don't brand xenForo in the process. This conflicts with Branding Free purchases and makes it annoying for non-tech savvy users such as myself to remove. What may seem child's play to you, may not be so to another.

I wouldn't have had a problem with the branding had it not done this... well except the location being in top center instead of the footer, I do find that annoying.

Yes I know I can move it and yes, I know I can hide it. The issue is about being able to do it yourself or having to now hire someone else to do it for you.

I say this as respectfully as possible, if you won't read through the post, please don't reply to it.

I say this as respectfully as possible, but if you don't bother to install the plugin that I linked you to, which does give you an option to remove branding then don't give me a snotty reply for not trying it.

Hint: Click on the download button on this page and follow the instructions in the text file.

copyright.webp

Waindigo said:
If you would like to licence any of our add-ons with different conditions (i.e., on a commercial site) please contact us to discuss as costs will be determined on a case-by-case basis.

The author has kindly released this add on for free, branding free options are available, you don't have to be tech savvy to start a private conversation with the author.

See, your reply now was a lot more helpful than your original one were you link a page that I already linked myself in the post just before yours. Thus (at least to me) it didn't seem like my reply was snotty because I was going off of your response that basically said what I already said previously.

However, this reply is actually a LOT more helpful because out of your anger, you took the effort to actually explain what you meant and you tuned me into a link I hadn't noticed before. I didn't notice before that the "this helpful add-on" text was actually a link to another file to remove the branding, so for that, I thank you.

I did say it enabled you to remove the copyright, which you would have found out if you'd tested it yourself and read it correctly. That big orange download button is there for a reason ;)

Anyway, no worries :) I would drop the author a line though if I were you though as I'm sure he'll be happy to arrange a branding free licence :)

I did say it enabled you to remove the copyright, which you would have found out if you'd tested it yourself and read it correctly. That big orange download button is there for a reason ;)

Anyway, no worries :) I would drop the author a line though if I were you though as I'm sure he'll be happy to arrange a branding free licence :)

I'm still new to this software and I thought that big orange Download link was to the same mod, the Friends thingie.

Fair play, sorry if I was curt. This author has branding on most of his free mods. If you install that copyright plugin it gives you the option to hide or remove it from all of them in one place.

Fair play, sorry if I was curt. This author has branding on most of his mods. If you install that copyright plugin it gives you the option to hide or remove it from all of them in one place.
Nah I apologize to. It's still early and I obviously misread that page.

Our forum is currently on a test server so the branding really doesn't matter here and the mods we install don't either. My BF and I are going through a bunch of add-ons just looking at what is nice, might be nice, and all of that.

We're keeping a list as we go of the mods we want to keep and the ones we simply won't re-install so when we upload the forum to our live server, we have everything worked out already. Now that you informed us both of that branding removal, we're going to check out more of this author's work.

-Don't get me wrong though, it's not the Author's brand we care about. It's the xenForo brand he unintentionally added.
--And of course, the location of the brand.

I have run into a serious problem that this addon causes, it prevents the body tag from getting it's classes correctly, any time I install this addon the body tag gets stripped of it's tags (not to mention the whole sourcecode once the addon get's installed seems to be rewritten for the container template that has the body tag... or at least turned into a scambled mess when viewing the source afterwards)

I've noticed that when you are already friends with someone and you click their thumbnail in a thread and you get the overlay with the member options, you can still see a link to "friend" the user even though you are already friends. When you click that link it asks you again how you know the user even once they confirm and you are already friends.

I've noticed that when you are already friends with someone and you click their thumbnail in a thread and you get the overlay with the member options, you can still see a link to "friend" the user even though you are already friends. When you click that link it asks you again how you know the user even once they confirm and you are already friends.
Thanks, I'll look into this.

Is the download package correct? updated and its still showing as 1.0.2 and the member card is still showing just friend regardless of status.
Fourth-point (i.e. x.x.xX) releases are changes to the files only and there is no change to the installation file. As such, the installation file will not show the updated version number 1.0.2a and will only show 1.0.2.

I'm unable to replicate the issue you are having with the member cards. Have you uploaded all of the files correctly?

Fourth-point (i.e. x.x.xX) releases are changes to the files only and there is no change to the installation file. As such, the installation file will not show the updated version number 1.0.2a and will only show 1.0.2.

I'm unable to replicate the issue you are having with the member cards. Have you uploaded all of the files correctly?

Yes. For the second time now, and still having the same issue as described below.

Top Bottom