Fresh From the Garden

EQnoble

Well I am inclined to start this thread because i said I would and I know "Someone" may have something ready to post over here. but for now...

(space reserved)

C'mon floris I started this because Dragonfly had something to post regarding this and my thread opener is not ready and I didn't want to slow her down. Is that attitude really necessary
I would love to have an Italian grandmother myself to learn the secrets of good gnocchi and other yummys! Sadly I don't have any grandmothers :( Treasure her ;) Now... go and start that gardening topic :p

Yay!! Thanks for starting this EQNoble :D

Now.. getting back to the hyroponic gardening.... Thanks for posting the vid you posted, but it confused me a bit, do the plants go in the gravel type stuff? What is that stuff?Does the water need changing? Does the pump run all the time? What goes in the water (we would want it as organic as possible) ... lol so many questions :p

Our available area is about 4 x 3 metres I guess, and has a concrete base (we pulled down a shed there) the area gets lots of sunshine all year round, in fact in Summer it will be very hot.

We are not all that experienced at building tbh :p And cost is a factor lol but heck let's do this thing!

Thanks Liz, that is a pretty good article! :D

Would love to hear from someone who has actually done it though. Until yesterday it's not really something I had considered, we were planning on getting a raised garden bed in the space and growing veggies in soil in there. Whatever we use it needs to be raised as our two dogs will get into it and dig or just lie all over the baby plants!

Those look quite good for growing indoors if you have limited sunlight. Do you know anyone that has tried it?

Lack of sunshine and warmth is not really our issue, we have plenty of both, and we were just going to go down the path of a raised bed filled with organic compost and bingo, but I am intrigued by the idea that Hydroponics is actually more efficient, wondering if the energy used to power the pump is actual offset by the increased production in the plants.

Yay!! Thanks for starting this EQNoble :D

Now.. getting back to the hyroponic gardening.... Thanks for posting the vid you posted, but it confused me a bit,
do the plants go in the gravel type stuff?
...yes the white ring that you see in the middle is in fact a pvc pipe used to keep a cavern in the material before transplanting and once you drop the rootball in it you simply lift the ring over the plant and the growing medium rushes to fill the void
What is that stuff?
I use expanded clay pellets which tend to be uniform and specifically I use hydroton brand for my various applications
Does the water need changing?
Depends... In your case you want to make an outdoor hybrid setup i would say no... due to evaporation and use and the fact that outside you would use a Rubbermaid type 10 gallon or 20 gallon tote as your reservoir (remember we said use pvc pipe to make a covered greenhouse with sheet plastic for the walls and ceiling unless you want to go more elaborate) tho depending on what your growing specifically you may want to stop giving nutriments about 2 weeks before harvest.. If your growing flowers and they are not for consumption don't stop with feed don't change it. Also in this case you can get a small submersible pump and leave it completely below the surface of the reservoir so you don't get crystalline deposit buildups.
Does the pump run all the time?
no you would get a simple digital timer and program about 6 - 8 events for on and off a day lasting for about 15 mins a piece.
What goes in the water (we would want it as organic as possible) ... lol so many questions :p
BOTANICARE
Botanicare.jpg

I support them if you couldn't already tell. They have treated me very good.

1.jpg
5.jpg
3.jpg
4.jpg

Our available area is about 4 x 3 metres I guess, and has a concrete base (we pulled down a shed there) the area gets lots of sunshine all year round, in fact in Summer it will be very hot.
There is a lot of places we can go from here.. first you need to know if your going inclosed outside or open air.

We are not all that experienced at building tbh :p And cost is a factor lol but heck let's do this thing!
Gimme a price range and I will see in USD what I could do for the novice builder and give you a full sketch up. From there we can see what we can do with Aus retail stock.

more to come.

Ladies and Gentlemen, the grammar police have arrived at Xenforo ..... we are all in trouble from here on in ... :eek: :D
I don't care how badly you mangle your posts, but your thread titles...a simple word like THE should not be mistyped. And if you haven't noticed by now, most browsers have spell check built in so you can catch your worst offenders. It can't help if the word is typed correctly just misused tho. Liz

Thanks EQnoble! Will try to work out what and where and if we are going to do this.. we do have another area that is a clear covered indoor outdoor area that might work .. but it doesn't get as much sunshine.

Where do you get the plants from? Can you just use normal seedlings and rinse the soil off them?

Its a whatever if it grows via photosynthesis thread or related.

If your comfortable with sustaining a mother plant you could keep it under a couple of t5 full spec bulbs and cut clippings it you fancy cloning... for your average gardener.... start in soil

theW* (by the way no you cannot change your own titles as per this boards permissions ) best soil I have seen is usually a mix of a local medium (your compost and some soil), and a high end organic mix with minimal nutes added later, always organic. NO HEAVY METALS YUKKKK . For the pre-bagged part of my mix I use a mix of
LIGHT_WARRIOR.jpg
OCEAN_FOREST.jpg

both are foxfarm products you can look those up and find a comparable one that you can get out there. You can also add some perlite to add some airspace for drainage and root promotion via raising the % of oxygen absorbed at the root level. The Drain-n-Dry part of my method promotes growth by letting the roots get just damp to the touch when the timers kick in and flows some more feed.

As far as seedlings ... if you have them already and they are not a picky plant you can with ease rinse the roots off thoroughly as you don't want contaminants in your hydro garden.

The size of plants you want to grow is your choice as well but it affects what kind of setup you will need. That from the video was actually a transplant bucket for a tree that i kept in there until it was about 7 feet tall.

If you really want to get solid edibles you need to control the light as much as possible. I like HPS600watt for an all around if you can only use one but if you can add a Metal Halide once your little ones are rooted solid in whatever medium your are transplanting them to, then switch to hps when you want to force the flowering period, you will be happy with your results. Standard photoperiod usually works for all plants with variance for species and strain and that is 18/6 vegetative ( light / dark ) 12/12 flowering , I opt to use 24 hour a day light vegetative scheme as that's what i like to do but the main important thing to remember if you want to drastically improve your quality of your plants do not disturb the photoperiod make sure it's stays completely dark during the night cycle.

The more I think about this, the more I am thinking we should do it in our undercover area, as I don't really want to build a structure for it outside... or there is the area that is covered by Shade Cloth, but gets gentle sun most of the day.... soft filtered rain could get into it though???

I've taken up gardening as a new hobby to replace social networking. Been searching for purple bicolor snapdragons (Antirrhinum majus dwarf) all night. This ain't easy, trying to get that right color you wanna grow. When they die, they look like skulls. If you squeeze em, they talk like dragons.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.
T8xIF7H.jpg

Screen Shot 2015-06-23 at 1.02.30 AM.webp
snapdragon-purple-with-white.webp

Top Bottom