Lack of interest Forums tab should show "Forums" when selected

This suggestion has been closed automatically because it did not receive enough votes over an extended period of time. If you wish to see this, please search for an open suggestion and, if you don't find any, post a new one.
This suggestion has been closed. Votes are no longer accepted.
This is one of those things that probably isn't going to get conclusive support one way or another.

Of course there's a very simple solution. Edit template forum_list.

Find:
Code:
<xen:h1>{$xenOptions.boardTitle}</xen:h1>

Replace:
Code:
<xen:h1>{xen:phrase forums}</xen:h1>

Most forums show the board title in the logo, showing the board title again a few inches below the logo looks bad and is redundant.

The other tabs show the tab name at this location, it would be nice if the Forum tab did as well.

Also for most sites the title at the top of the forum list is the site's only home page, hence it's nice for them to convey the full site's title. I wouldn't usually reference SEO because it's mostly redundant, but actually a descriptive title here (in the H1 tag of the home page) is actually better than something generic such as "Forums". Bearing in mind search engine bots can't read text in logos, the text here is far from redundant, but can be easily changed if you wish.

When viewing the forum list page, in my experience search engines get the forum board title from the browsers tab and ignore the text below the breadcrumb.

The board title in the browser tab comes from the board title in the H1 tag that you are proposing gets removed.

If the code was changed as per my instructions here:

This is one of those things that probably isn't going to get conclusive support one way or another.

Of course there's a very simple solution. Edit template forum_list.

Find:
Code:
<xen:h1>{$xenOptions.boardTitle}</xen:h1>

Replace:
Code:

Then taking this site as an example, when on the forum list here, you would see "Forums" in the browser tab, rather than "XenForo Community".

To have a different H1 and a different title, you would need to add this to the forum_list template:

Code:
<xen:title>{$xenOptions.boardTitle}</xen:title>

I just tried editing the forum_list as you suggested in post #4 this and I get different results. On my forum the browsers forum tab shows the board title and the text below the breadcrumb shows "Forums".

Yes, you're right.

The content in post 4 is sufficient to achieve what you want.

What's probably more correct is to remove the <xen:h1> tag completely, and replace it with:
Code:
<xen:title>{xen:phrase forums}</xen:title>

That would make the H1 tag read:
Forums

And the title tag read:
Forums | XenForo Community

The xen:h1 tag sets the page title.
The xen:title tag sets the browser tab title.

If you just use xen:title, the h1 will be generated from it.
If you just use xen:h1, the browser tab title will be the board title.

I use this to hide the H1 tag when viewing the forum list:

HTML:
                            <xen:if is="{$contentTemplate} != 'forum_list'">
                            <div class="titleBar">
                                {xen:raw $beforeH1}
                                <h1><xen:if
                                    is="{$h1}">{xen:raw $h1}<xen:elseif
                                    is="{$title}" />{xen:raw $title}<xen:else
                                    />{$xenOptions.boardTitle}</xen:if></h1>

<xen:if is="{$pageDescription.content}"><p id="pageDescription" class="muted {$pageDescription.class}">{xen:raw $pageDescription.content}</p></xen:if>
                            </div>
                            </xen:if>

If you replace the existing <xen:h1> tag on the forum list with simply:

Code:
<xen:h1 />

You will get the same effect.

The xen:title tag sets the browser tab title.

Hi Paul,

Thank you for looking into this as well.

When I change the forum_list to:

Code:
<xen:title>{xen:phrase forums}</xen:title>

my forum tab shows this:

pic001.webp

Perhaps because this is the most important page in a forum it would be best to use this:

Code:

that way the board title will be shown and will be better for SEO. It would be great to make this change because having the board title repeated below the breadcrumb looks bad IMHO and as you can see others have had to make this change on their forums.

Thank you.

Top Bottom