Forums are dead

Sudden growth (or diminution) is very often the result of Google changing algorithm. All websites are at their mercy.

Sudden changes can also be caused by competitor sites starting or closing.

True.

Or could be mentions in articles, blogs, other forums. Could be a marketing effort by the owner.

I was just curious.

No forum stands a chance against Reddit

Ha! Hardly. There are a couple of Reddit groups related to the same subject as my forum. One of the groups is quite large in terms of membership. I'll just say that the "caliber" of people AND their posts on Reddit are simply on a different "level" than my forum. And by "different level," I don't mean in a good way. It's in a VERY bad way. There are some good folks there. But, the general "theme" is very low-brow.

It's SO bad on Reddit, that I've avoided interacting or promoting my forum, because I simply don't want my forum to turn into that sh*tshow.

In the mean time, my 6-month-old forum is thriving and showing tremendous potential.

I got an email with a notification of this thread. I thought it was funny that the first post was made in 2013.

Yep... the prediction of the demise of forums made 9 years ago. Yet, here we are. :cool:

Facebook and other big-tech social media made a real dent in forums for a while. But, I think forums are coming on strong again. Stronger (and better) than ever.

Ha! Hardly. There are a couple of Reddit groups related to the same subject as my forum. One of the groups is quite large in terms of membership. I'll just say that the "caliber" of people AND their posts on Reddit are simply on a different "level" than my forum. And by "different level," I don't mean in a good way. It's in a VERY bad way. There are some good folks there. But, the general "theme" is very low-brow.

It's SO bad on Reddit, that I've avoided interacting or promoting my forum, because I simply don't want my forum to turn into that sh*tshow.

In the mean time, my 6-month-old forum is thriving and showing tremendous potential.

You only think so

How many users do you have in the forum?

As of today, 900. Started the forum with zero 6 months ago.

Screenshot from moments ago:
1662487264815.png

In the world of forums, those are "rookie numbers," for sure. But, I think we're on the right track.

Perhaps more importantly... is the QUALITY of the members and posts. Some really good information being shared by good people. Lots of good content.

QUALITY of the members and posts. Some really good information being shared by good people. Lots of good content

Quality over quantity should basically be the main objective of a forum admin, a high quality thread can rank on Google and do well on social networks and you can re-use it over and over.

Reddit with his huge userbase can have quality posts but they often get lost because mods can't keep them relevent, Reddit is a flow of content and there is a huge mine of content. They are improving their internal search engine to make those discussions more discoverable.

As of today, 900. Started the forum with zero 6 months ago.

Screenshot from moments ago:
View attachment 272931

In the world of forums, those are "rookie numbers," for sure. But, I think we're on the right track.

Perhaps more importantly... is the QUALITY of the members and posts. Some really good information being shared by good people. Lots of good content.

Those numbers mean nothing. What number of those are actually participating on the forum?

I see forums with 50K+ members, but are lucky to have 20-50 even posting. Some are likely bots or fake accounts. Some are by people that may have created multiple accounts. Etc. Long story short those numbers mean zero.

And you can have 100K+ posts and 50K+ threads. How many of those posts and threads have any value and meaning? I'll bet most are just people going on about random stuff that has nothing to do with that thread. Heck, we see it here. Make a thread about puppies and it'll turn into a post about conspiracy theories about earth being flat.

For me it's not the numbers that matter. It's the number of active users, the quality of the users, and the quality of the threads and posts. Otherwise it's just a bunch of useless filler that serves no purpose about the subject at hand.

People just try to use those numbers to make themselves feel better about things than they actually should.

https://geeks-board.com/

<<< is a perfect example. Over 300K members. Over 5,000 threads. Over 6,000 posts. None of which add up. A forum with over 300K members should be far busier than those numbers. Multiple forums with no activity for MONTHS. Threads that have a post today, but didn't have one for a month or 2.

Numbers mean very little.

Last edited:
Those numbers mean nothing. What number of those are actually participating on the forum?

I see forums with 50K+ members, but are lucky to have 20-50 even posting. Some are likely bots or fake accounts. Some are by people that may have created multiple accounts. Etc. Long story short those numbers mean zero.

And you can have 100K+ posts and 50K+ threads. How many of those posts and threads have any value and meaning? I'll bet most are just people going on about random stuff that has nothing to do with that thread. Heck, we see it here. Make a thread about puppies and it'll turn into a post about conspiracy theories about earth being flat.

For me it's not the numbers that matter. It's the number of active users, the quality of the users, and the quality of the threads and posts. Otherwise it's just a bunch of useless filler that serves no purpose about the subject at hand.

People just try to use those numbers to make themselves feel better about things than they actually should.

https://geeks-board.com/

<<< is a perfect example. Over 300K members. Over 5,000 threads. Over 6,000 posts. None of which add up. A forum with over 300K members should be far busier than those numbers. Multiple forums with no activity for MONTHS. Threads that have a post today, but didn't have one for a month or 2.

Numbers mean very little.

LOL! The question asked (by @Agentos ) was very simple: How many users do you have in the forum?

I answered his simple question with a simple answer. He didn't ask the litany of more complex questions YOU have asked.

Of course, quantitative answers to your questions would require far more work than I'm willing to do in the context of this forum. But, I'll offer this, FWIW...

My forum focuses on a very narrow niche topic. I dare say that the quality of the posts is outstanding. We are a very focused group and stay on topic for most threads. Like most forums, there is a core group that is VERY active. Then there's a group that's "semi-active." And of course, there are those who only lurk. The active poster group is growing steadily.

I'm very pleased with the organic growth of my forum. There's the "Law of Attraction" or the saying that, "like attracts like." We've got a really good group of members going. Quality people making quality posts and having quality PRODUCTIVE discussions.

I'm not posting numbers to "make myself feel good." I posted the numbers to answer the question that was asked of me. A simple question with a simple answer.

I have not yet felt comfortable saying what my forum is about here. It's a controversial subject (needlessly, but it is). My forum has already established itself as a leading forum on this particular subject... that has been largely abandoned. The biggest forum on the topic shut down suddenly several months ago. My forum is picking up the pieces from there. There are a few other spin-off forums, but they are not nearly as busy as mine. Just the facts.

Yeah... for some reason militia sites seem to be under the gun.

Yeah... Ummmm... No. Not a "militia" site by any stretch. LOL!

It's hobby-related. A "sub-specialty" of a hobby. I'll say that. :cool:

PS... I've always had an interest in space and telescopes (and photography). One day I'm going to get a nice telescope.

Last edited:
Yeah... Ummmm... No. Not a "militia" site by any stretch. LOL!
Figured you were referring to MyMilitia (think it was) and the stuff they were going through....

I've always had an interest in space and telescopes (and photography). One day I'm going to get a nice telescope.
Suggestion... spend more than you want on the mount... it's the bones of the system. The setup I have was a "kit" and the EQ-35M Pro (rebadged to William Optics) strains under the load-out of the scope and the other stuff once it's loaded.
Synscan HEQ5 or EQ6 would be a good base to start with. For scope, look in the 80mm range if looking at a refractor, and if "money is no object" look strongly at a triplet instead of a doublet.
I use my NexStar 8se for planetary/solar viewing and imaging. My next scope (after getting a better mount) will be a nice reflector on an EQ mount. Had toyed with getting a Dobsonian on a GoTo... and may still end up doing so.

Figured you were referring to MyMilitia (think it was) and the stuff they were going through....

No. This has nothing to do with militias. It's a hobby sub-specialty. I know nothing of militias (other than their existence) or "MyMilitia." Never even heard of it, honestly.

The biggest forum dedicated to this particular hobby was shut down by the owner for reasons upon which he would not elaborate. Just shut it down (with a fair bit of warning). He's moved on to other things.

Last edited:
Only your username suggests that the site is about "patriots".

So, you equate "patriots" with militias? I certainly don't.

We are hobbyists. We enjoy a LEGAL hobby that tends to elicit rancorous debate, not just within the U.S. But, especially in the international community (as is this forum). So, I've just avoided it.

Many here can probably figure out the general theme (but probably not the specific "sub-specialty" of the hobby).

I'm tellin' ya... my forum is NOT about militias. Hardly! LOL! Promise!

So, you equate "patriots" with militias? I certainly don't.
Maybe it is to do with logical thinking (whether or not fallacious). I suspect most militias may believe they are patriots, even though not all patriots may be part of a militia.

I think to many people, over the last few years, the word patriot implies something very different to what maybe it used to mean.

Or is it just a view held by people in countries where law abiding citizens would not own or carry firearms unless in a sporting context?

Or maybe being patriotic is a norm so seems unnecessary for there to be forums about it.

Last edited:
Top Bottom