Forums are dead

But the one in your signature seems to be...
Maybe join it mate.
I think what he means is ...

1648604844105.webp

forums are increasingly back in fashion - for those who want serious and useful discussion on important topics to them... Trust me i know what I am talking about - I have a new business-oriented forum with hardly 500 members, yet i have had 2 acquisition offers for it...

but then again, this may be due to my exclusive domain name
I was clicking your post trying to open the links for 2 whole seconds before realizing your text is just blue.

Tom Cruise Smile GIF

Quality niche community forums will survive regardless of member count, forum owners need patience and a formula to connect with their intended base. FB is a devastating blow to communities and stifled website building, essentially making the web a boring place to visit.

Remember the days when people would actually scratch build a site on the web?

Quality niche community forums will survive regardless of member count, forum owners need patience and a formula to connect with their intended base. FB is a devastating blow to communities and stifled website building, essentially making the web a boring place to visit.

Remember the days when people would actually scratch build a site on the web?
Agree about FB. It's a leach.

Back in June, FB disabled my account until I enabled 2FA to increase security. Fair enough, lots of warning that this was going to happen and it does indeed increase security. What's interesting, is that I still haven't enabled it and hence haven't been on FB since then. And I don't miss it. I really hate the way that Meta abuses its members, especially with idiotic and draconian "moderation", on top of all that data mining that it does.

I'll eventually enable it though as there's some contacts on there that I care about, just don't know when.

I have a new business-oriented forum with hardly 500 members, yet i have had 2 acquisition offers for it...

Really? Wow. I started my forum exactly 6 months ago, today. I'm at 865 members with over 13,000 posts. No offers... not that I'd be interested in selling at this point... or even in the foreseeable future or maybe ever.

Really? Wow. I started my forum exactly 6 months ago, today. I'm at 865 members with over 13,000 posts. No offers... not that I'd be interested in selling at this point... or even in the foreseeable future or maybe ever.
That's decent growth, especially for nowadays. How did you do it if you don't mind?

I've told the story elsewhere on this forum. My forum is a rather narrowly-focused facet of the firearms hobby. It's one reason I have been reluctant to share it here. Guns are controversial (for some reason), and I just don't want to poke at the hornets' nest. This particular facet of the firearms hobby is even MORE "controversial." :) Firearms, in general, are controversial enough in the U.S.... but even more so on the international stage (which this forum occupies). So, I've just been reluctant to share it. I really don't want to incite a debate on that subject. Maybe my concerns are unfounded?

There was another very popular forum that was the main player in this area of interest. The owner inexplicably and somewhat suddenly shut it down. He did give us a "heads-up" on it, so members could save any posts or files they wanted to keep. But, then it was gone. Poof! And members were left with little in terms of a gathering spot where they'd be welcome and could share freely.

A couple of spin-off forums popped up, but they were on free platforms and fairly clunky. Both are CLOSED to guests / lurkers. Big mistake, IMO.

I decided to give building a forum a whirl. But, if I was going to do it, I was going to do it RIGHT and NICE. Hence why I chose Xenforo as the platform. I went on a "crash course" and learned as much as I could and went for it.

So, I had a fairly "ready" audience looking for a new "home." So word spread fairly quickly in that group. That helped jump start things. I've also spent some time trying to optimize it for search engines, and we now show up at the top for the likely search terms. I'm a member of a couple of other more generalized firearms forums, and I put my forum in my signature.

I've also put a lot of effort into "priming the pump" as it pertains to content. I've spent a lot of time posting new threads on various topics that may interest members.

I cannot imagine doing this (or having the success) without Xenforo. Without a doubt, I chose the BEST platform software. And, I've gotten so much help from the wonderful folks here! Thank you!

Ha! Then mine (and those of about 100 million citizens) are DEFECTIVE! 🤪 Mine are SUPER-lazy. They just sit there, doing nothing, until I pick them up. And, then paper targets beware! :giggle: And I will say no more than that! 😶‍🌫️
Now you definitely have to talk about this on my forum! 😂

Top Bottom