Forums are dead

Nah, don't worry about that. We have some decent members there who can talk about controversial stuff like this rationally.

As adept as I am at debating the subject, I'm slowly / finally learning that it is largely an exercise in futility. Very few will change their mind. The BEST way I can change anyone's mind or enlighten them is bringing them to the range. Works 100% of the time. :) But debating it?? Almost never.

In fact, I brought a couple of Brits to the range when they were here. They loved it!

As adept as I am at debating the subject, I'm slowly / finally learning that it is largely an exercise in futility. Very few will change their mind. The BEST way I can change anyone's mind or enlighten them is bringing them to the range. Works 100% of the time. :) But debating it?? Almost never.

In fact, I brought a couple of Brits to the range when they were here. They loved it!
That's ok, you can join without talking about it, if you like the place. I own the joint and can promise you that you won't be abused by anyone there.

I'm not anti-gun per se as it's all in how it's used, but it does remain a very controversial topic, as we know. It's their wide misuse which really gets me.

Now, I almost never browse forums; instead, I use Reddit to do the same.

This can increase traffic and retention of users. A lot of big forums already have similar features through custom add-on's, but it's not nearly as streamlined as Reddit.

I've recently been perusing Reddit groups (similar topics to my forum). And, I dare say it's not even close to the same quality as a forum. Reddit is chock-full-o' trolls. It's a VERY different demographic. I'll just say that.

Reddit is "streamlined?" Mmm-kay. I'm not seeing it. It's very linear like Facebook. But, that's just me, perhaps. There's no organization of subects to it like forums (sections, sub-forums, etc). I find forums (like this) MUCH easier to use. My opinion, of course. Your mileage may vary. :)

I've recently been perusing Reddit groups
If you want mainly vacuous posts... you simply visit FB, Twitter, Reddit and the like. VERY rarely do I see qualitative posts on them... and when I do, good luck with finding them again in the future if you want to refer back to it. They are generally throw-away repositories.... you put something in and 6 months later it's wandering around lost in the netherverse. But that also describes much of society now.

Quality niche community forums will survive regardless of member count, forum owners need patience and a formula to connect with their intended base. FB is a devastating blow to communities and stifled website building, essentially making the web a boring place to visit.

Remember the days when people would actually scratch build a site on the web?
yes, it all seems to be square space or word press now.
Not so many standalone hand coded websites now

I know that I participate now in fewer and fewer forums. I'm a member of several sites that deal with a specific topic and am finding that fewer and fewer new posts are being generated there, and usually those are only by a limited few.
I must admit that I am a bit the same
I used to visit 3 or 4 forums to do with my hobby.
But then the US election controversy, and then Ukraine came along and I spend quite a bit of time on Youtube.
But I still support and run my own forum of course.

I'm not anti-gun per se as it's all in how it's used,
That’s for me the whole point of debate on forums. I don't wish to get into any kind of pro or anti guns argument here as it isn't appropriate, but it's useful topic as an example of what is and isn't good debating.

But debating it?? Almost never.
There are certain topics that people (especially on one side of the argument) are quite blinkered about

As adept as I am at debating the subject, I'm slowly / finally learning that it is largely an exercise in futility. Very few will change their mind.
It's well known that people very rarely change their mind, whatever rational or scientific the evidence or data they are presented with. Ears close off to the argument they do not want to hear.
The BEST way I can change anyone's mind or enlighten them is bringing them to the range.
Believing that there is no problem with guns for sport is only one small fact of the whole thing. If someone believes it should be more difficult for guns to get into the hands of criminals, mentally ill or children, I would doubt that showing them that it's fun, healthy, sociable etc. to take part in a sport, would change their mind. Surely everyone who would support regulation around guns is probably going to realise that there are plenty of reasons that sporting events/clubs etc. is a far cry from the senseless killings they object to.

A good (forum) argument should very quickly follow all the nuances and implications associated, otherwise it becomes "no it isn't"..."yes it is"..."no it isn't...."

Again - this is all for example I don't think we should be drawn into any part of that argument on this forum (especially in this thread).

Last edited:
My 11 years old Forum stats, luckily it's going fine.
Monthly statistics:

1661925812443.webp

1661925853067.webp

1661925897282.webp

What do you think?

I think forums have gone or are going the way of the little magazine of the 60s and 70s (and 80s). Dying, slowly but surely.

You can create the most bodacious forum software out there, but the "users" that remain--far and few between--won't give a rat's ass. Forums are dead. Nobody cares.

The NSA stuff hasn't helped any of this. Even before Mr. Snowden, though, forums were on their way out. Somebody show me a new forum that has its wings, and I'll eat my words.

Go ahead. Make my day.
I know a lot of forums that don't have wings but a rocket in their ass. One of them.

https://forum.turkmmo.com/

Ah, another forum with a rocket in its ass. Who can write such a message, of course, women... 🤣

https://www.kadinlarkulubu.com/

Last edited:
I know a lot of forums that don't have wings but a rocket in their ass. One of them.
They are few and far in between... MOST topics are already MORE than adequately covered by other sites...so what you have to hope for is you can find a niche that very few others are actually serving, and that niche be one that would take to sharing information.

The other is to enter a niche that already has a few "Jolly Green Giants" (Cloudy Nights being one for my site) and hope that you can offers services that they don't.... and a friendlier atmosphere (sorry to say, there are some absolute dickheads over on CN and they don't do much about it - snobbery is frequently seen at it's finest over there).

Top Bottom