Forums are dead

I just bought the XF license. Hope the forum isn't dead yet.

Darlin' don't listen to the negative nellies here re: "forums are dead." Find a niche you enjoy and try to enjoy the experience of creating something. Part of the fun is getting your community ready to go "live." Xenforo can be frustrating at times, but overall it is the best out there, functionality-wise and support is pretty good. Just think of how many whiners and a's you'll get to ban-it's satisfying. LOL Joking of course-kind of. ;)

There are thousands of active forums still online.

Happy Forum-ing and good luck to you!

People are mostly using social medias. that's why we thought Forums are dead. but no, mostly people use forums and get information from forums.
exactly, for chit chat people use social media. To talk about topics, there are now numerous alternatives to forums (as reddit, "facebook", whatsapp groups" which is mostly social too). A forum needs to publish hard facts / information first the user needs. There is no more "I build a forum and users post stuff for free and I the owner will profit". You have to be the one who posts stuff first.

Stuff changes. Everyone keeps on searching for information. If you have the good stuff, it doesn't matter where it is and in which form it is presented as long as the user can understand it. Today there are lots of videos, keeps the user interested and it's like TV. Who listens to radio in their home today? Most used TV. Now everything is on the internet.

I hope so. But I shall die seeing that there are some addons that I needed and they weren't free :cool:
But I realize some work has to be paid.
You don't have to. Just have to remember that while forum culture is receding, xenforo has much to offer. Xenforo is used as a framework on our site, and it is solid enough to build more things on it.

A great community is all about the value you consistently create for the people who use it.

Last edited:
I know that I participate now in fewer and fewer forums. I'm a member of several sites that deal with a specific topic and am finding that fewer and fewer new posts are being generated there, and usually those are only by a limited few.

But what are those specific topics ?
Obviously times are changing and some themes are no longer topical at all and in this case it is not the form that is in question but the substance.

But what are those specific topics ?
Obviously times are changing and some themes are no longer topical at all and in this case it is not the form that is in question but the substance.
Astronomy (still popular past time but the forums I use participation has slacked off), astrophotography, mountain bike riding, RV camping (extremely popular currently), Toyota Tundra, Winnebago RV's, acoustic guitar, black powder rifles and pistols. Those are just a small smattering.

However, it is not on social networks that people are interested in this type of subject ... Where are they then?
Aren't there other competing forums that could have sucked up members?

Social media doesn't necessarily lend itself well to topical conversation, it's great for sharing images, memes, realtime chat/interaction, etc., but when it comes to thoughtful threaded discussion you need a proper venue and forums still provide that and there's no shortage of people still using them.

<20: TikTok
the rest is on youtube
I am a fan of both of the sites.

I feel that videos are much better than words, and despite the cost, moving towards videos would be a must for my community to thrive.

I do run an exciting and uncommon community. So my opinion is solely applied to my community.

Top Bottom