1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Forum Slugs

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Brandon_R, Aug 28, 2010.

1. Brandon_R

Brandon_R Guest

That has to be the weirdest name for a feature i have ever heard.
  2. Mike

Mike XenForo Developer Staff Member

3. Tigratrus

Tigratrus Well-Known Member

It's been around in Wordpress for a long time...
  4. Brandon_R

Brandon_R Guest

Never used wordpress, but i've seen it in vBseo but never got around to using it that much. Still i think it's a weird name.
  5. pk698

pk698 Active Member

I brought popcorn, expecting that this thread was a flame war. How disappointing...
  6. Tigratrus

Tigratrus Well-Known Member

That brings up an interesting point... I wonder how many people (not saying that you are one of them Brandon) that are clamoring for an integrated CMS vs a solid supported bridge to WP, Joomla! and Drupal have actually USED Wordpress etc?

There you go pk698... That might give you a use for your popcorn... Or not, depending :)
  7. Shamil

Shamil Well-Known Member

CMS :mad:
  8. Floris

Floris Guest

A slug is a common term for creating vanity urls.
  9. DSF

DSF Well-Known Member

This is a slug in german :D ... no popcorn ist required ;)
  10. Onimua

Onimua Well-Known Member

We call that a snail here. This would be a slug in the US at least (snail with no shell basically):

11. DSF

DSF Well-Known Member

I hate there in our garden ... :mad:

Back to the forum slugs again ;)
  12. Ra

Ra Active Member

perfect animal- why don't you like so artistic slugs?))

13. mjp

mjp Well-Known Member

The term "slug" is taken from letterpress printing. A slug was a line of of metal type from a Linotype machine. Hot metal. Before you were born.

WordPress used the term in their software in keeping with the "press" terminology. The internet, being the epicenter of copycatism and thievery, took the WP term and applied it to strings of characters elsewhere.
    Kier likes this.