Implemented  Forum home gradient

Shelley

I really like how you did the similar gradients in thread display and feel this should be carried over to the forum home cat gradients. I feel the blue text on the baige/orange gradient doesn't look as nice as the thread display counterpart which has a darker brown text which i feels stands out better. Not to mention I think the 1 px border on the thread display gradient is a nice visual touch which is not currently present on the forum home gradient. (mockup below)

Attachments

• forumhome_gradients.webp
    forumhome_gradients.webp
    74 KB · Views: 120
Upvote 3
This suggestion has been implemented. Votes are no longer accepted.
I like the brown on orange better than blue on orange. The only question I would have is about maintaining a consistent visual cue for clickable links and how that interacts with changing the text to brown.

It may be just me but those category links don't actually take me to the categories, they just take me to forumhome. Same with the category navbit in the breadcrumb.

It may be just me but those category links don't actually take me to the categories, they just take me to forumhome. Same with the category navbit in the breadcrumb.

They take you to the forum home and scroll the page down to the correct category.

That's done by design. Why would you want to go to a page that shows exactly the same information as you have on the forum home page but without the surrounding context?

Example:

Forum home page:
  • First Category
    • Forum 1
    • Forum 2
  • Second Category
    • Forum 1
    • Forum 2
  • Third Category
    • Forum 1
    • Forum 2
Category page:
  • Forum 1
  • Forum 2
Looking at it like this, what benefit does the category page have over linking to the full forum list and jumping so that the selected category is at the top of the screen?

As far as I can see - none at all. It's just another page to style for no real benefit.

Okay? :)

That's done by design. Why would you want to go to a page that shows exactly the same information as you have on the forum home page but without the surrounding context?

Example:

Forum home page:
  • First Category
    • Forum 1
    • Forum 2
  • Second Category
    • Forum 1
    • Forum 2
  • Third Category
    • Forum 1
    • Forum 2
Category page:

• Forum 1
  • Forum 2
Looking at it like this, what benefit does the category page have over linking to the full forum list and jumping so that the selected category is at the top of the screen?

As far as I can see - none at all. It's just another page to style for no real benefit.

Totally agree. The category pages were one of the things about vBulletin that I found pointless. :)

Category pages in phpBB actually list all the forums at the top and active threads from all forums in the category below.

It's quite a useful view.

Hence why I queried it earlier thinking it was a bug.

I really like how you did the similar gradients in thread display and feel this should be carried over to the forum home cat gradients. I feel the blue text on the baige/orange gradient doesn't look as nice as the thread display counterpart which has a darker brown text which i feels stands out better. Not to mention I think the 1 px border on the thread display gradient is a nice visual touch which is not currently present on the forum home gradient. (mockup below)

Ching!

Just noticed. Good decision. I know this could have been adjusted by customers when they got their hands on the product but I was thinking along the lines of it being default so the style is enhanced that little bit better. Again, nice work, much much better.

Maybe edit this thread title prefix to [Implemented] or along those lines so people know it's implemented.?

Fair enough...when I saw the anchors afterwards it dawned on me this was probably deliberate.

I agree. On my site nobody *ever* uses those category pages at all. Not ever. I doubt many people know they are there.

So why link the category titles on forumhome if they're not going to take you anywhere?
For forums with lots of categories they will align at the top of the page when selected.

So when in the Quick Navigation Menu and you click on a Category, the forum home page will be displayed with that one scrolled to the top.

So why link the category titles on forumhome if they're not going to take you anywhere?

I believe this is because of the Forum Jump menu. When you click it, the anchor point takes you to where that category is. If you want to link it to someone else, you can point them to that section rather than saying "Go to this site and look for category X."

Helps with larger sites I'm sure.

Hmmm, but if you're already viewing that link you must already have that category in focus.

It allows you to right-click -> Copy Link Location so you can give the link to somebody else, and it will scroll to that category when they click it. :)

Top Bottom