Implemented  Forum home gradient

Shelley

I really like how you did the similar gradients in thread display and feel this should be carried over to the forum home cat gradients. I feel the blue text on the baige/orange gradient doesn't look as nice as the thread display counterpart which has a darker brown text which i feels stands out better. Not to mention I think the 1 px border on the thread display gradient is a nice visual touch which is not currently present on the forum home gradient. (mockup below)

Attachments

• forumhome_gradients.webp
    forumhome_gradients.webp
    74 KB · Views: 120
Upvote 3
This suggestion has been implemented. Votes are no longer accepted.
That's done by design. Why would you want to go to a page that shows exactly the same information as you have on the forum home page but without the surrounding context?

Looking at it like this, what benefit does the category page have over linking to the full forum list and jumping so that the selected category is at the top of the screen?

As far as I can see - none at all. It's just another page to style for no real benefit.

Okay? :)

Well... almost okay. ;)

When you look at http://www.phpbb.com/community/ and then click the Category 'phpBB 3.0.x', you see this:

http://www.phpbb.com/community/viewforum.php?f=49

All the subforums that were just little links on the frontpage, are now much more easily visible/accessible/readable on this overview. You see, there you are presented with the amounts of postings, topics and you have convenient forum descriptions (something I really miss in XenForo, because you are depended on mouse-overing every Forumtitle to found out what they are about: please change this back to normal static descriptions) for the enduser to look at. You can NOT see all this on the frontpage... there they are just little links. I say it's a BIG difference actually... you just 'unfold' the category as it were and you get much more information. So it's not exactly the same information actually.

As Brogan above rightfully points out: it's quite useful.

That's done by design. Why would you want to go to a page that shows exactly the same information as you have on the forum home page but without the surrounding context?

Example:

Forum home page:
  • First Category
    • Forum 1
    • Forum 2
  • Second Category
    • Forum 1
    • Forum 2
  • Third Category
    • Forum 1
    • Forum 2
Category page:

• Forum 1
  • Forum 2
Looking at it like this, what benefit does the category page have over linking to the full forum list and jumping so that the selected category is at the top of the screen?

As far as I can see - none at all. It's just another page to style for no real benefit.

Currently I use that on a frequent basis to watch how many people are in each subforum, we are using vb3.8 (hope that is ok to mention). I change the subforms occasionally to best accommodate traffic patterns. I am not suggesting you make any changes, but that is what I personally use them for.

Of course any statistics at all regarding views/post/visits to particular subforums would make that superfluous. Actual 'posts' in a subforum don't reflect the true activity, as much as views, especially to the people that pay $ to advertise in those forums.

Example:

Forum home page:
  • First Category
    • Forum 1
    • Forum 2
  • Second Category
    • Forum 1
    • Forum 2
  • Third Category
    • Forum 1
    • Forum 2
Category page:

• Forum 1
  • Forum 2

it confused the heck out of me and I've been doing this for a long time
different link - so I assumed / expected it was taking me to another page

I was wondering why it kept taking me to the main page.
The problem was that the anchor didn't work as intended so all I kept seeing was the same thing. I'm on a 1920 res and there is little scrolling on the page.

---------

Are you saying that we will NOT have the choice to display a 'forum' if the forum has sub-forums AND does not allow posting (no threads)?

:(

hmmm, so we won't be able to set a forum Invisible (display 0) ??? (accessible if url is known)

Are you saying that we will NOT have the choice to display a 'forum' if the forum has sub-forums AND does not allow posting (no threads)?
I think a forum with sub-forums is different than a category with forums inside. Hopefully the situation you've posed is indeed possible.

Top Bottom