1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Forum Ban? Thread Ban?

Discussion in 'Resource and Add-on Discussions' started by Mutt, May 15, 2012.

1. Mutt

Mutt Well-Known Member

Has anyone made a forum ban? On VB I had an addon that allowed you to kick someone out of a specific forum without banning them from the entire site. I've looked and I'm not seeing it but I thought I'd asked in case I'm just searching the wrong keywords. essentially I need a mod to be able to remove a users permission to view a node. (forum ban)

while I'm at it, how about Thread Ban? only thing I've found even close is Topic Starters Rights and it's not doing what I'm looking for. i'd like a mod to be able to kick a person out of a specific thread. maybe even the thread starter.

alternately I made a VB an addon I called Douche Protection that allowed the thread starter to enable it when creating a thread and anyone on their ignore list would be blocked from replying to the thread.

CurveGotti likes this.
  2. duderuud

duderuud Active Member

A forum or topic ban would be very nice!
    CurveGotti likes this.
  3. borbole

borbole Well-Known Member

I have coded a Forum Ban mod. You can see it at my forum.

CurveGotti likes this.
  4. Digital Doctor

Digital Doctor Well-Known Member

5. Mutt

Mutt Well-Known Member

CurveGotti and borbole like this.
  6. Mutt

Mutt Well-Known Member

7. Digital Doctor

Digital Doctor Well-Known Member

Mutt: not sure. It's more of a pattern by very specific Addon makers than a general trend. I think the failings of vBorg and xF addons stems from the flawed method of compensation for supporting Addons.
    CurveGotti likes this.
  8. Mutt

Mutt Well-Known Member

yeah, back when I was still using UBB, VB gave me a free license for permission to use my private messages & BBCode Buttons / click to insert smilie code addon concepts but by the time I went to switch to VB, it had expired and nobody knew what I was talking about.
  9. Cal

Cal Well-Known Member

This would be extremely useful if someone can make one, or knows of one already made. Politics is a niche where adults can whine like kids about their lives and their government. I frequently have to separate my users out of arguments and confrontations. Most of the time it's not big enough to merit a ban, and it's a common place, so a warning isn't really merited either. Stopping them from going in the thread would be huge. That's just me though. There's a ton of different uses for this sort of add on.
  10. shadrxninga

shadrxninga Well-Known Member

I'll have a go at making this, no promises though (Not much time atm). I'll try and do a forum/thread ban in one addon.

Just a thought:
    • Would it ban their ip from viewing the thread too, so if they logged out - they still couldn't view the thread.
    CurveGotti likes this.
  11. dieketzer

dieketzer Well-Known Member

ideally it would be more centred around post permissions rather than view permissions.
    CurveGotti likes this.
  12. CurveGotti

CurveGotti Active Member

Forum ban is core

in the top right type a username and click set permissions

revoke view node & any other options you desire such as post thread, reply, etc & save
  13. Mutt

Mutt Well-Known Member

not ip, just xen permissions. sure they could logout & read the forum or login w/ another account but they can do all that now. thank you
  14. Mutt

Mutt Well-Known Member

and you know what's funny, I think someone pointed that out to me before. totally forgot. this is great & will fulfill my need.
    CurveGotti likes this.
  15. Mutt

Mutt Well-Known Member

I made a small template edit to make getting to this easier. I previously did this edit to message_user_info to add quick links to the postbit. Now I've added this too. clicking it bring you to the node permission for that user for the current forum

<xen:if is="{$forum.node_id}">
                                                <li><a target="_blank" href="{xen:adminlink 'node-permissions/{$forum.node_id}/user&user_id={$user.user_id}'}"><b>Forum Ban User</b></a></li>
    the forum node if keeps it from displaying in conversations.

the code was insert inside these ifs whihc were already there.
                                    <xen:if is="{$visitor.user_id} != {$user.user_id}">
                                        <xen:if is="{$visitor.is_admin}">
    the first one makes sure you don't see it w/ your own posts & the 2nd one makes sure you have admin access.
    CurveGotti likes this.