1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

XF 1.5 Forbidden 403 error when editing templates

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting and Problems' started by neokyle21, May 18, 2016.

1. neokyle21

neokyle21 Member

When trying to edit and save changes to certain templates such as navigation and messages I receive the following popup error and am unable to make any changes.

The following error occurred:
    You don't have permission to access /pvp/pn/admin.php on this server.
    After some research the error seems to be typically caused by mod security so I contacted my host. They told me mod security wasn't interfering and gave me this error from our logs saying that the problem seems to be on xenforos side.

POST /pvp/pn/admin.php?templates/save-multiple.json HTTP/1.1" 403 225 "http://mysite.net/pvp/pn/admin.php?templates/navigation.1015/edit&style_id=22" "Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; WOW64) AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko) Chrome/49.0.2623.112 Safari/537.36
    Some of the templates I'm trying to edit are ones I've successfully edited in the past. I recently upgraded my xenforo from 1.2 to 1.5.7, as well as my style and add ons.
  2. Brogan

Brogan XenForo Moderator Staff Member

This is not a bug so I have moved the thread.

It is typically due to mod_security and your host needs to whitelist the offending rule or disable it.
  3. neokyle21

neokyle21 Member

Yes I do believe it might be mod security as well but the support rep I spoke to said the above error was all that was within our logs and that it wasn't related to mod security. I asked if they would turn off mod security and they said that they don't disable it. How can I find out what the offending rule is to have it whitelisted? Maybe I just spoke with someone who doesn't know what they're talking about?