Font Awesome Ratings

Font Awesome Ratings 1.0.0

No permission to download

Chris D

XenForo developer
Staff member
Chris Deeming submitted a new resource:

Font Awesome Ratings - Replace resource ratings (and any other ratings) with Font Awesome

This add-on is based on an example usage of Font Awesome. You can see the original code in action here: http://fortawesome.github.io/Font-Awesome/examples/#custom

And the end result using this add-on:

View attachment 61573

This add-on gives you a new template: font_awesome_rating. That template can be used as a direct replacement for the default XenForo "rating" template that XenForo uses for the Resource Manager.

Many add-ons, including...

Read more about this resource...

I love Fontawesome, Chris and thanks for providing this fine finishing touch.
Few questions
1) For those that have been using FontAwesome other icons, they already have linked to the Fontawesome css stylesheet on their page_container template. Wouldn't this will call it twice?
2) Can I just use this new template to display the rating of a specific resource elsewhere on XF such as pages?

And #4... any idea why it won't work with the template modification outlined with @Bob B's ShowCase?

Works fine for me in places that I use the core XF rating template. I posted to you on my support site. There are a couple places that I do not use the core XF rating template due to using my own inline AJAX Rating system that is different than the overlay review form rating system. If its OK with Chris, I can integrate this into SC in the places that don't use the core XF rating template.

Works fine for me in places that I use the core XF rating template. I posted to you on my support site. There are a couple places that I do not use the core XF rating template due to using my own inline AJAX Rating system that is different than the overlay review form rating system. If its OK with Chris, I can integrate this into SC in the places that don't use the core XF rating template.
Pretty much have figured out it works on the List view but modular/grid view for the home page it apparently uses your system. :)

Reactions: Bob
Pretty much have figured out it works on the List view but modular/grid view for the home page it apparently uses your system. :)

Just curious I did a search for the line of code that needs to be replaced. Am I correct that 16 templates are needed to apply the fontawesome ratings?

Just curious I did a search for the line of code that needs to be replaced. Am I correct that 16 templates are needed to apply the fontawesome ratings?
Probably depends on what all you have installed. I'm sitting at 17, but one of those is wf_widget_xfrm_resources.
I'm using using Showcase and XenMediaGallery as well as Widget Framework.

Probably depends on what all you have installed. I'm sitting at 17, but one of those is wf_widget_xfrm_resources.

Thanks.

Yeah, I would imagine it depends on what add-ons are installed which would determine the amount of template edits needing to be edited. I was just curious on the rough amount I guess. Nice work Chris.

If you find it's a lot if work to update all your templates, an alternative is to rename the rating template to something and then rename my template to rating.

And #3, where exactly do you change the icon at?
font_awesome_rating.css

There's a couple of lines that begin with content: followed by a Unicode character code. Just change that to the Unicode code of another icon. They can be found on font awesome website.

I love Fontawesome, Chris and thanks for providing this fine finishing touch.
Few questions
1) For those that have been using FontAwesome other icons, they already have linked to the Fontawesome css stylesheet on their page_container template. Wouldn't this will call it twice?
2) Can I just use this new template to display the rating of a specific resource elsewhere on XF such as pages?
1) Yes. Just remove it from the font_awesome_rating template. Be careful though: this add on uses the new version 4.x of font awesome. If you run 3.x you had probably not remove it. Mine is only called on pages that use ratings.

2) it works exactly the same as the default ratings so the template can be called and display a star rating anywhere.

Last edited:
There's a couple of lines that begin with content: followed by a Unicode character code. Just change that to the Unicode code of another icon. They can be found on font awesome website.
For reference to anyone else wondering (and doesn't want to use Google)... the Unicode list is here.

Since I run a motorcycle related site, I decided to try this out for a while.
screenshot.webp

And on my Apple site
screenshot1.webp

Last edited:
And now it would be completely awesome to have the standard xenforo-ui-sprite.png replaced by a little gem.....so this is a kind of request ;-)

this one.....has to go.....

xenforo-ui-sprite (2).webp

Top Bottom