XF 2.1 Font Awesome 5, Editor button management, Markdown support and more!

We did say we'd see you again fairly soon and so here we are, hot on the heels of our push notifications announcement, to bring you an update on several more new features and improvements coming in XenForo 2.1.

Remember, to ensure you're kept up to date, we strongly recommend smashing the "Watch forum" link here and enabling email notifications if you haven't done so already 🙂

How tables will be looking on small screen sizes? Scrollbars? Probalby a way to hide columns?

Also, would be cool to see this or at least part of it in XF 2.1)

Last edited:
If you have any particular table examples that concern you, let us know what the markup is and I’ll let you know if they work already.
Do you support the following child tags; thead/tbody/tfoot/colgroup/caption/col. And will I be able to easily inject additional formatting depending on the options value?

If you have any particular table examples that concern you, let us know what the markup is and I’ll let you know if they work already.

We’ve not done a lot in terms of formatting and so things like that may be lost, but we could at least try and make the BB code “work” even if it loses some of the formatting.
Thank you. We are using this markup:
https://xenforo.com/community/threads/th-datatables-bb-code-paid.108805/post-1109851
It originates from the highly popular vbulletin 3 tables addon and the same markup was implemented in @ThemeHouse Datatables. @Jake B. has been working on a XF2 version, using the complex tables from my site as an example.

We use nested tables. i.e. a cell may contain hotlinked attachments or media. Is this supported?

I’ll get back to you both (and @Xon)

Certainly not implying that we’ll be adding support for any of this, but it would be nice at least if the tables aren’t un-renderable.

I can answer the bit about nesting, you should be able to use any BB code within any of the table tags. Though obviously things like headers are already slightly opinionated in terms of formatting as we make them bold and centred at least.

@Chris D on an implementation note; does this mean the XF2.1 bbcode parser now understand tags which only make sense if there is a certain parent tag?

Just to be clear, there is no new BB code parser :) so unfortunately we do still expect opening and closing tags.

@Chris D on an implementation note; does this mean the XF2.1 bbcode parser now understand tags which only make sense if there is a certain parent tag?
Not really, though it's not possible to workaround as it is.

There's a single definition for the TABLE tag, and then that internally inspects its children and handles whatever the output is for specific children as appropriate.

sweet love the new features. Though like @Xon would need to figure out what to do with existing XF 1.5 created html tables via other addons.
The answer is, essentially, that we don't have direct support for any of the following:
  • <caption>
  • <col>
  • <colgroup>
  • <tbody>
  • <tfoot>
  • <thead>
Worth noting that Froala itself doesn't attempt to output some of those so that's also a slight constraint (in terms of, even if we supported them, the editor itself wouldn't output them, so you'd be having to add them manually in the BB code editor, which isn't ideal).

I think generally the key will be for us to make the existing table code as extendable as possible (it already is via class extensions, but perhaps other approaches) so additional support could be added.

The "Data Tables" style of syntax that mostly uses pipe characters and new lines for cell/row separators is likely unfeasible as it's totally removed from any expectations set out in HTML.

I'd say after the widget system and the navigation system, editor management is/was the most popular thing all forum owners wanted to have modified somehow. It is like the other 2 things, we had addons for these stuff but now being able to have it officially is great. Specially with table support and markdown support. I really like the level of improvements we had so far with push notifications and this. I just hope we'll see a lot more stuff like this.

Does new bbcode parser support single bbcodes like [hr] and something like that?
I've got an add-on which injects support for that, I'm also stuffing all the various bbcode that my site use it and will likely make it for sale sometime after XF2.1 is released.

ot really, though it's not possible to workaround as it is.

There's a single definition for the TABLE tag, and then that internally inspects its children and handles whatever the output is for specific children as appropriate.
That was my other thought of how it was implemented, as I've got a couple of bb-code which do something like that.

The answer is, essentially, that we don't have direct support for any of the following:
  • <caption>
  • <col>
  • <colgroup>
  • <tbody>
  • <tfoot>
  • <thead>
Worth noting that Froala itself doesn't attempt to output some of those so that's also a slight constraint (in terms of, even if we supported them, the editor itself wouldn't output them, so you'd be having to add them manually in the BB code editor, which isn't ideal).
Guess I need to index ~10 million posts and see if any of them use those then!

TBH I'm not sure we ever knew it was a desire to have that. I don't believe there's an open (or closed) suggestion for it. That's always a good start :)

Top Bottom