1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

XF 1.2 Folder permission errors

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting and Problems' started by faeronsayn, Oct 7, 2013.

1. faeronsayn

faeronsayn Well-Known Member

So I recently switched servers and used the SCP command on linux to move all the files over. However, now I am getting a few folder permission errors. For example uploading a new avatar causes a permission denied message.

Furthermore, using the taigachat shoutbox I also get permission denied messages when trying to to send a message through there.

So I'm wondering what the fastest way would be to fix all the folder permission on xenForo? Possibly through ssh, but I don't know the exact commands I should run and on which folders.

2. Adam Howard

Adam Howard Well-Known Member

/data/
    /internal_data/

By default should be 755 or 777 depending on server setup. Most host will require a 777 setting. You can do this via FTP or SSH.

When you move file servers via SCP command line, you can end up losing the chmod settings. It's fairly easy to restore them

3. faeronsayn

Are there any other permissions that should be changed?

4. Adam Howard

Yes, try 777 (as noted in the post above).

5. faeronsayn

But are those the only folders I need to worry about? In general?

6. MattW

MattW Well-Known Member

Those are the only folders that the web server should need to write to, so it's just those that need to have the correct permissions.

7. Tracy Perry

Tracy Perry Well-Known Member

To clarify... not only do the directories listed need those permissions, but all directories and the files contained therein need those permissions also otherwise existing avatars would not be written (modified) if the subdirectories do not inherit the parent permissions.

Last edited: Oct 8, 2013
    Adam Howard and MattW like this.
  8. Adam Howard

True, but one would normally assume that goes without saying..... But then again.....

9. Tracy Perry

Yep.. you know what happens when you assume...
    Assume-Donkey-519x250.jpg

:D

Whenever I see someone refer to "folders" I never assume - other than they are coming from a Windows environment. ;)

MattW and Adam Howard like this.
  10. faeronsayn

Would it be hazardous to give those folders and the directories/files inside them 777 permissions?

11. Tracy Perry

If you are talking about the ones under /data and /internal_data.... they NEED 777 (or depending on the host 755) permissions. ;)

Adam Howard likes this.