1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Floating back to top button

Discussion in 'XenForo Suggestions' started by Mr Lucky, Feb 6, 2015.

1. Mr Lucky

Mr Lucky Well-Known Member

I'd like a back to top button, I get fed up scrolling back up on my mobile.

It would be nice if there was one of those buttons that floats by whatever post you are on to take you back to the top.

RobinHood, Mark3121, Veer and 11 others like this.
  2. teletubbi

teletubbi Active Member

3. Mr Lucky

Those are addons, I'm suggesting it for the core of xenforo.

Apiweb likes this.
  4. Amaury

Amaury Well-Known Member

You can use the Top link in the footer.

otto likes this.
  5. Rambro

Rambro Well-Known Member

A Go To Bottom button would be more useful. You can get to the top of the screen in either Android or iOS by doubletapping the top of the URL bar. To get to the bottom you have to thumb up the screen 50thousand times.

otto and Apiweb like this.
  6. Valhalla

Valhalla Well-Known Member

I think some things should remain at the application-level, and this would be one of them.

Familiarity with the browser/OS is useful when navigating, and it would assist with this task in most cases.

(Also, I can't express why but I especially dislike the up/down toggle feature which will appear on some websites in an effort to make scrolling easier. I accept it would be beneficial if you wanted to go to the bottom of the page - I suppose that is why it exists.)

7. Mr Lucky

I don't see that link

8. Brogan

Brogan XenForo Moderator Staff Member

upload_2015-2-11_22-57-58.png

otto likes this.
  9. Mr Lucky

I find tapping of the top of the URL tends to open favourites or the url rather than going to the top most of the time.

I do agree that a go to the bottom would be useful as well.

10. Mr Lucky

No, I don't see it.

EDIT: however even if I could, this suggestion is for a
    Floating button

Last edited: Feb 12, 2015
  11. Martok

Martok Well-Known Member

The Top link in the footer isn't visible on tablets and mobile phones, as it is hidden by responsive design. I always thought this was a bit odd as it's probably most useful on mobile devices.

12. Brogan

I can safely say I have never once clicked that link.

And as for floating icons...I absolutely loathe anything which follows me around when scrolling.

lifewithcannabis, Neal and Divvens like this.
  13. rafass

rafass Well-Known Member

I think is a good suggestion, even many mobile apps have back to top button.
    is useful and comfortable. (a small one)

Jeanette likes this.
  14. Mr Lucky

Ah yes, I just noticed. It actually shows on my iPhone when in landscape, but I don't think many people would use a phone landscape when the forum works well responsively in portrait.

Yes, it needs to be a small button but easier than trying to click the top of the URL field. The button would be invisible until you scroll.

On my forum, Android users are complaining that they cannot do this.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 6, 2015
  15. kevgermany

kevgermany Member

Agree about the go to bottom as well. However doubletapping on the top of the url bar just brings up a list of previous URLS, doesn't scroll to top. Neither does the other suggestion of tapping on an arrow from scrolling - it doesn't come up.

Seems there are differences between the way the browsers perform under Android versions. I'm on 4.3, the phone's 2 years old and no more updates. I'm not buying a new phone just to get a newer version of Android.

16. Jeanette

Jeanette Member

Problem is it isn't necessarily about what we like but more about giving our members a good user experience. :)

More and more members use more than one forum and will naturally compare them and we want ours to be up there with the best!

Jx

Mr Lucky likes this.
  17. Brogan

I'm a member...

Amaury likes this.
  18. Jeanette

Jeanette Member

Indeed :)

Jx

19. Stuart Wright

Stuart Wright Well-Known Member

Long pages need a floating 'to top' and 'to bottom' button like Audento's UIX style has.

Jeanette likes this.
  20. Brogan

I use the [Home] and [End] keys on the keyboard.

otto, Nicky Vermeersch and Amaury like this.