Flexile

Flexile 1.1.5.1

No permission to download
Status
Not open for further replies.
So he is not actively designing or coding styles for Audentio at this point in time?

Thanks for keeping us updated, hopefully we'll hear from him as soon as he is able...

So he is not actively designing or coding styles for Audentio at this point in time?

Thanks for keeping us updated, hopefully we'll hear from him as soon as he is able...
He is working on a new product for us, but I haven't heard from him either. I'm sure he just got held up with a project or something. If you guys have any questions with Flexile or have any support questions, feel free to ask me. This isn't my product but I'm sure I can help. I'll try to watch this thread for Erik til he gets back.

I've just transferred my vb3 forum over to Xenforo and I opted for Flexile Green as my theme. It look wonderful except for the fact that it breaks up in IE7.

It turns out a lot of my members still use IE7 at work and in IE7 the style breaks up in three places...

1) The logo (header logo) is pushed down and onto the content but if i put the logo in the header background instead of the logo field, it doesnt pushed the header background down.
2) The user bar along the top is broken into two lines instead of staying on the same line.
3) The long green menu which supposed to run from left to right is pushed to the right and the whole left side of the screen (away from the content) has no menu bar running across it.

I've included two screenshots. One from Firefox to show how it should look and one from IE7 to show how it does look...

Firefox

firefox-png.24410

Internet Explorer 7

internetexplorer-png.24411

The style creator hasnt been on Xenforo in a while and this has everyone else I've asked stumped.

The default Xenforo doesnt break up in IE7 so it's definitely a Flexile issue because the same thing happens with 8wayrun.com. Although on 8wayrun they use a header background instead of the logo so the logo doesnt get pushed down on their site

I had issues with Flexile as well, both technical and with the members not liking it, in the end I went and bought XenFracture and I haven't had one member who doesn't like it.

You'd probably have to do the green tint though as I don't think they have a green version. - At least their author is around, I couldn't risk using a skin that had the risk of the author disappearing and leaving me with a forum that I couldn't update because there wasn't an up-to-date version of the skin available.

Whilst not tested with IE7, it does work fine in IE8 in compatibility mode, which in my experience usually is a reasonably accurate IE7 test.

Lone Wolf, can you send me a live demo of this issue?
At least their author is around, I couldn't risk using a skin that had the risk of the author disappearing and leaving me with a forum that I couldn't update because there wasn't an up-to-date version of the skin available.
In Erik's defense, he isn't being paid for this work and has supported it for quite some time. Sometimes, other things take precedence, and while I can understand the desire to go with a more supported solution, it is undeniable that Erik has done a phenomenal job so far and we shouldn't just write him off since he's been away for a month. I could be wrong but I do not believe he guaranteed support, after all, he doesn't get anything in return for you using his free product :/

Lone Wolf,

First off, your logo is 980px as opposed to 976px. This might be causing IE7 to render the logo below the correctly positioned elements inside of the pageWidth div. So, one fix might be to change the width of your logo image to 976px.

If that doesn't work, then I recommend adding the following CSS to your flexile EXTRA.css template:

Code:
#header {background: url('@headerLogoPath') 0 0 no-repeat;} //set background of header to the logo path
#logo img {display: none} //hide the image tag, you can also remove it via the logo_block template.
#logo a {display: block; width: @pageWidth.width; height: @headerLogoHeight;} //ensure that you can still click on the logo

What this will do is ensure that the logo displays behind the navigation and other elements without IE7 having a heart attack.

Let me know,
Mike

Lone Wolf,

First off, your logo is 980px as opposed to 976px. This might be causing IE7 to render the logo below the correctly positioned elements inside of the pageWidth div. So, one fix might be to change the width of your logo image to 976px.

I was really hoping it was a width problem but I tried both 976 and 975 and neither fixed the issue.

If that doesn't work, then I recommend adding the following CSS to your flexile EXTRA.css template:

I did that and it creates a second logo which is at the right height but it's not centered. However the first logo is still there in the same position as before. IE there are now two logos. Have a look to see what I mean.

Oops, forgot to align it to the center:

Code:
#header {background: url('@headerLogoPath') 50% 0 no-repeat;}

I checked your site and didn't see two logos, and even in Chrome I looked at didn't see where you added this code.

I could be wrong but I do not believe he guaranteed support, after all, he doesn't get anything in return for you using his free product :/
In that case he shouldn't ask for donations, he was going to get one from me for using the design. In the end members on my site preferred another design anyway, but its not the point.

I've defended Authors of free addons in the past, but fundamentally, if you have a forum that is a viable business, you can't expose yourself to the risk that an addon may not be supported in the future. Sure, buying them is also no guarantee, but its less of a risk than free addons.

Nothing against Erik personally, my comment above was more out of frustration than anything else, tbh. Free is fine, but something as significant as a skin is going to need updates as new versions of XF come out. If consistency of the look and feel of your site is important, I cannot suggest going for free skins - period.

Audentio - perhaps it may be worth coming up with a way that these 'free' skins can be supported if the Author goes awol? I don't know how it would work, but it would be of benefit to all if a scheme could be devised. Obviously it would need the author's co-operation, but there has to be a way to do this.

In that case he shouldn't ask for donations, he was going to get one from me for using the design. In the end members on my site preferred another design anyway, but its not the point.

I've defended Authors of free addons in the past, but fundamentally, if you have a forum that is a viable business, you can't expose yourself to the risk that an addon may not be supported in the future. Sure, buying them is also no guarantee, but its less of a risk than free addons.
He isn't forcing anyone to give him donations. Free is free, donations are donations. Just don't feel it is fair to him I guess. I know that if I had a product that I supported for a long time and it was the most popular XenForo product (by far) AND was free and all of a sudden something happened where I couldn't come back, I'd want to know that people were still appreciative otherwise I'd never come back to support the product. And Flexile is definitely still an awesome product, I just hope for everyone who use's the products' sake that Erik comes back to support it. That is all I'm really trying to get at, but I definitely understand your point of view.

And no one is arguing your second paragraph, I definitely agree, if your forum grows to a certain level it is definitely a good idea to get a highly supported product.

Nothing against Erik personally, my comment above was more out of frustration than anything else, tbh. Free is fine, but something as significant as a skin is going to need updates as new versions of XF come out. If consistency of the look and feel of your site is important, I cannot suggest going for free skins - period.

Audentio - perhaps it may be worth coming up with a way that these 'free' skins can be supported if the Author goes awol? I don't know how it would work, but it would be of benefit to all if a scheme could be devised. Obviously it would need the author's co-operation, but there has to be a way to do this.

I understand entirely :). And I agree.

Well, I once offered to buy Flexile from Erik (which would mean Audentio Design would support it), but other than that I do not see any kind of agreement we could make. Erik doesn't work for me, nor I for him, I just wanted to be here to pledge my support in his absence.

Well, I once offered to buy Flexile from Erik (which would mean Audentio Design would support it), but other than that I do not see any kind of agreement we could make. Erik doesn't work for me, nor I for him, I just wanted to be here to pledge my support in his absence.
I appreciate that and I applaud your efforts in supporting someone else's work.

I was speaking more in general really. Something along the lines of, you make it, we'll support it - it could well even stay free, but if someone wants it updated because the author's gone awol, then they pay a fee for that support, but once paid, you continue to support it. A cut could go back to the author perhaps?

There must be a way that it could work, but obviously it would have to be agreed with the skin developers before they go awol! Something along the lines of, we'll step in and support it, but only if you stop supporting it (either permanently or temporarily) yourself. If this happens, we'll charge for the update work, but the author gets a small kickback from it.

Anyway, its derailing the thread, but I thought it was worth expanding on what I said above.

I hope Erik a) is OK and b) comes back soon in any case :)

Not to continue the off-topic-ness (for lack of a better word :P), but it's not a bad idea, I guess people don't know they are going AWOL until they are so it'd be hard to set that up. But, with what you've said, if Erik does come back I will have a chat with him along similar lines to what you've mentioned, so thank you! :)

Not to continue the off-topic-ness (for lack of a better word :p), but it's not a bad idea, I guess people don't know they are going AWOL until they are so it'd be hard to set that up. But, with what you've said, if Erik does come back I will have a chat with him along similar lines to what you've mentioned, so thank you! :)
Any time :) - Yes, it would have to be something that you'd have to proactively talk to skin developers about in advance and get their agreement in advance (obviously!).

Erik submitted a new resource:

Flexile (version 1.1.2) - A clean, modern, and flexible theme for almost any XenForo forum

Introducing...

flexile-title-png.5110

A new, fresh, innovative style for XenForo...

Flexile has a clean, modern, "Web 2.0" look, and supports all of XenForo's rich styling features, including Style Properties and 2-click recoloring:

colors-png.5111

All color variations seen here are...

Read more about this resource...

I'm back. :)

I anticipate getting a moderator to merge the old Flexile thread into this discussion thread soon, so hang tight. :)

I accidentally created the the Resource in the Addons category as well, so this is going to need to be moved to the Style Releases forum.

I thought I would reply to this with some of my thoughts on the issue. I apologize for disappearing for two months - I was just extremely busy and couldn't afford to devote any time to dealing with XenForo stuff.

As far as the donations go, I try to make it very clear on the first page that the donation is only for the right to remove the branding on the theme, and does not in any way guarantee support. I agree it's reasonable to expect at least a basic level of support (i.e. updates) for the near future, and that's my plan for these themes, but you still have to be aware that you aren't paying for support, just the right to remove the branding.

I completely agree with you here - ultimately if you are very dependent on your site and don't have the skills to maintain the theme yourself, then there is clearly a risk you are taking going with a free theme for which no updates are guaranteed. Ultimately this is the case with paid themes to, but it's less of a risk. In the end, you are putting your trust in the author to keep their word on support and updates, and you can have more trust with paid themes. This is why I've never released and supported a paid theme myself - I know I won't have the time or resources to fully support it to the point that I'd be satisfied. If I ever do independently release and support a paid theme, you can know that I am fully prepared to provide a quality level of support and updates.

Class was a theme that I developed for Audentio and which the rest of the team is now providing support for. This works great for us both, and hopefully we'll release more themes in this manner in the future.

On another note, because I've been away for a long time, if you are still having issues with this style, please re-post your question or issue or link to the original post in this thread. I'll assume that all posts before this one have been dealt with/abandoned, so please post again if you are still having an issue that needs solving. Thanks. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom