First Time User Group Promotion

Alfuzzy

I'm working on my first User Group Promotion with Xenforo...and was wondering how long does it take for the user group promotion changes take place?

Since it's a brand new user group promotion that may apply to 95% of forum members...do the user group promotion changes happen immediately...or does it only update after the next scheduled User Group Promotion Cron Entry (or click on "Run Now")?

Thanks

Solution
The cron automatically runs every 20 minutes.

However, only very recently active members will be automatically promoted.
Others will be promoted the next time they log in.

If you want to apply it to all members, run the Rebuild user group promotions task in the Tools menu.
The cron automatically runs every 20 minutes.

However, only very recently active members will be automatically promoted.
Others will be promoted the next time they log in.

If you want to apply it to all members, run the Rebuild user group promotions task in the Tools menu.

Solution
Excellent...thanks Brogan.

A couple related questions please:

1. I see in "Tools > Cron entires"...there's a individual Cron entry for " User Group Promotions"...and you mentioned "Rebuild user group promotions" in the "Tools > Rebuild Caches" area. Do these 2 areas do the same thing...if not...how are they different?

2. You mentioned the Cron automatically runs every 20 minutes. Does this happen for all Cron entries...or does it depend on the Cron entry?

As above - the cron applies the promotion to recently active members only, the rebuild applies it to all members.
Thanks...understand the difference now.
It depends on the cron - you can see the run frequency by clicking one.

To be honest...when I look at the various settings for each individual Cron entry (I looked at a bunch)...they all look kind of similar...and I'm not really able to decipher what each once is telling me. If each one said (runs every 20 minutes, runs once/hour, runs once/day, runs once/week, runs once/ month)...that would be clearer.:)

It's easy to understand.

In the case of use group promotions it runs any (i.e. every) day of the month, any hour, and at 20 minutes.

So every day, every hour, every 20 minutes.

1608333420114.webp

Thanks again Brogan. I think I get it now.:)

I think use of the word "Any" in each of the Cron Entry settings is confusing...I think using the word "Every" would be more clear (at least for me).

i.e.
Every Day of the Month
Every Day of the Week
Every Hour of the Day
Every 20 minutes

Also the vertical scroll bars for each of the Cron entry settings in your screenshot look permeant (always on). In my 2.1 version of XF...the vertical scroll bar only appears for the individual setting I'm adjusting (not the others...unless I adjust them too). And when I stop scrolling...the vertical scroll bar disappears (don't know if this is a setting).

I didn't realize each Cron setting scrolled like that. For the "Run at Minutes" setting...since I didn't realize it scrolled...initially I couldn't see the "20" setting. Of course now that you showed me...I get it now.

Hello, is there any way to perform promotions in real time? that is to say that they are immediate. To avoid spam I use a promotion for new users to a new group in which the user has to post 1 message and this message needs approval, but it's annoying that the user has to wait 20 minutes or have to activate cron manually to start to enjoy all permissions.

Top Bottom