First Time Configuration On GoDaddy

Joshism

I have GoDaddy webhosting (Deluxe Web Hosting Windows) and am attempting to set up my first Xenforo forum.

Following the instructions for installation of XenForo 2, I point my browser to the install folder and get this error:
"PHP 5.4.0 or newer is required. 5.3.6 does not meet this requirement. Please ask your host to upgrade PHP."

How do I change the PHP version?

Trying to search for an answer online indicates I need to access the Plesk settings on my GoDaddy account, but I can't find any mention of Plesk under my Web Hosting account.

They don't/can't use cPanel on their Windows plans. They use Plesk.

When I send my browser to https://n.n.n.n:8443 (where n's are my site IP address) my browser sits there for awhile before finally givine me a "The connection has timed out" error.

Try http://n.n.n.n:8447 You should have been given all the appropriate login information in your welcome email.

To be honest, I don't even know if you are allowed to run your own PHP. You might be stuck running whatever is on the server. I'm just not familiar enough with Plesk for Windows. Either way, this is why your pay your host the big bucks. You should be able to open a support ticket with them and they will get this all straightened out for you.

Do you need a Windows server/operating system or if purely php and MySql why not use Linux ?

I have Windows and Linux dedicated servers but need the Windows servers for a reason and whilst xenForo can work perfectly well on Windows Server you will run into issues that you will either need access to the server configuration or a good hosting support team to fall back on.

Also gives me a "The connection has timed out" error.

Do you need a Windows server/operating system or if purely php and MySql why not use Linux ?

I've never used anything Linux in my life which is why I chose the Windows option.

I have Windows and Linux dedicated servers but need the Windows servers for a reason and whilst xenForo can work perfectly well on Windows Server you will run into issues that you will either need access to the server configuration or a good hosting support team to fall back on.

I have a Shared Web Hosting account. Do I have to have a Dedicated Server account to run Xenforo?

I have a Shared Web Hosting account. Do I have to have a Dedicated Server account to run Xenforo?

Absolutely not. Most shared hosting will run xF without any difficulty. You need to contact your host's support (or go through their welcome email) and get the login information for the control panel. This is absolutely something they should be helping you with.

As I mentioned, you might be stuck with 5.3.6 if they will not update the shared server. I'm not familiar enough with Plesk (or whatever they have on your server...it's supposed to be Plesk for Windows) to know if you can roll your own PHP like you can in cPanel. Again, this is something you need to ask your host. They will should absolutely be able to answer this for you.

Good news: I finally figured out how to change the php version. The problem is that the option to do so is not labeled the way it is in GoDaddy's help page!

Bad news: another hurdle.

The directory [pathname]\data must be writable. Please change the permissions on this directory to be world writable (chmod 0777). If the directory does not exist, please create it.
The directory [pathname]\internal_data must be writable. Please change the permissions on this directory to be world writable (chmod 0777). If the directory does not exist, please create it.

Both folders exist. I used my FTP client (Filezilla) to set file Permissions for both folders to 0777 (I also tried 777 as it only wanted a 3-digit code, but in neither case would doing that followed by a refresh on the install screen get me past this error.

You cannot use Filezilla to change directory permissions on a Windows server, you need to change them on the server itself which you can do by locating the directory in Plesk and selecting one of the options to the side of the directory.

Top Bottom