First Render Time

I agree but I would like to see the results from going direct to the right URL without a redirect.

I agree but I would like to see the results from going direct to the right URL without a redirect.
You won't get these unfortunately as I have removed my xf install now and I am going to install xf again with my vb 4 data imported. As I have mentioned before, I do not think that the redirects have anything to do with these speed issues. I always remove the time for redirects in my values.

Unfortunately I cannot try my 4million test import using that site as it is protected by HTTP auth and I do not want the google/facebook bots indexing it. I'll try another way...

I used waterfall diagrams from webpagetest.org. If Ryan would post his debug time from forum start page this would be a great help. There are lots of disadvantages using this, but I don't have access to the forums directly. I have explicitly displayed all my results in my thread and I am happy if someone would provide some data from their community, too.

Timing: 0.1487 seconds (shared environment).

1. you need to check the performance WITH and without filecache.
IMO with filecache is sometimes slower, as without

2. With how many forums/subforums/nodes did you test this?
I want to run the similar simulation with an profiler, because with <20 nodes (with 6 different node types displayed in the nodetree) it isn't slow and it was one of the last entries sorted by "costs" in my profiler

I have removed everything, uploaded xenforo again, and imported my vb data again. Still slow with filecache
Timing: 0.1143 seconds Memory: 11.030 MB DB Queries: 9

I rented a new server which helps with speed. I hope the devs keep this issue here in mind and improve it. That would be great.

I'm really not interested in endless screenshots of waterfall loading graphs, they are not informative as to the user experience. Nor am I particularly interested in comparisons that deal with hundredths of seconds.

What does interest me is the immediacy of response and the feel of how quickly the page is ready for user interaction, and in my experience, XenForo seems to be ready far more quickly than any vBulletin 4 deployment I've encountered.

New statistics for a stock 1.1 beta 3 running live and on a faster server. With the old server it took around 0.14 seconds from what I remember, the newer is 40% faster:
- with the new server there is 0.10 seconds debug time with subforum rendering.
- Without subforum rendering it cuts 30% of page generating time: 0.07 seconds for logged in users and 0.065 seconds for guests. To stop render subforums, see first page of this thread

First render start for a xenforo live environment:

- forum start page: 1.25 seconds
- forum view: 1,35 seconds
- thread view: 1,2 seconds

That is fast.

Few days after migrating to xenforo I get these very good results for first start render:

First view: 1 second
Repeat view: 0.7 seconds

XenForo = Fast, only going to get faster over time as Kier and Mike carefully pick what features are added and with new coding techniques and improvements in PHP things can only get better :)

vBulletin = Inconsistent speeds ranging from fast to extremely(5s+) slow load times.

If you are on 1.1 and use template as files it makes everything insanely fast.

Top Bottom