First Click Free by Waindigo [Deleted]

yavuz

yavuz submitted a new resource:

First Click Free - Smart Content Hiding (version 0.11) - Don't get eaten by Google's Panda! A smart way to hide your content.

Google's famous Panda punishes websites by ranking that hide their content to users. The rule is that the content must be open to their bots and the users who access it from the search engine, and it mustn't be hidden even partially. However, there is a way around that Google calls "First Click Free"...

Read more about this resource...

interesting add-on !

So if I understand correctly, Google will index all content, but the member only sees a certain portion of the content ?

What about "User-Profiles" and "Avatar images" - will this also be indexed by search-engines ?
I am asking because I do not want to have Member-Pages and Avatar-images indexed by Google, as I am running a Private Dating community.....

Thanks!

interesting add-on !

So if I understand correctly, Google will index all content, but the member only sees a certain portion of the content ?

What about "User-Profiles" and "Avatar images" - will this also be indexed by search-engines ?
I am asking because I do not want to have Member-Pages and Avatar-images indexed by Google, as I am running a Private Dating community.....

Thanks!

Not exactly, the user and google can see the post content of a thread if the visit is been done via search engine. But clicking any other thread link will trigger a registration request.

Example:
  • Go to Google
  • Type something, find an indexed thread from the results.
  • Click & access it.
Now, you are able to see that thread fully, without being asked to register. Now, click on another thread, you'll be asked to register.

Currently it only works in threads. You can make a feature request which xfrocks will adress in due time.

Really interesting add-on yavuz, do it prevent Google crawling the site freely? I noticed this text on the google guidelines

In order to successfully crawl your site, Google needs to be able to crawl your content without filling out a registration form. The easiest way to do this is to configure your webservers not to serve the registration page to our crawlers (when the user-agent is "Googlebot") so that Googlebot can crawl these pages successfully.

I have plenty of hidden content like member's only avatars and stuff inside claerhout's premium bb code and I haven't been punished by Google.

I have plenty of hidden content like member's only avatars and stuff inside claerhout's premium bb code and I haven't been punished by Google.

The main aspect of this addon is content, avatars and anything outside the post is irrelevant. I guess the google bot's are able to access the hidden content and this hasn't flagged anything. I don't know the coding side of the situation so maybe someone more qualified can give a better answer.

Not exactly, the user and google can see the post content of a thread if the visit is been done via search engine. But clicking any other thread link will trigger a registration request.

Example:
  • Go to Google
  • Type something, find an indexed thread from the results.
  • Click & access it.
Now, you are able to see that thread fully, without being asked to register. Now, click on another thread, you'll be asked to register.

Currently it only works in threads. You can make a feature request which xfrocks will adress in due time.

so Google will index the thread-content, but member-profiles will also be indexed ?

As a guest, when you click on a thread & the popup shows, if the guest does not want to register there is nowhere for them to go except the back button on browser...it would be nice to be able to click outside the popup back to the forum showing the first 200 words of the thread ( or whatever you set it as)

Be nice to able to set the view limit to a couple of threads too :)

But as it's free I'm not complaining ;)

As a guest, when you click on a thread & the popup shows, if the guest does not want to register there is nowhere for them to go except the back button on browser...it would be nice to be able to click outside the popup back to the forum showing the first 200 words of the thread ( or whatever you set it as)

Be nice to able to set the view limit to a couple of threads too :)

But as it's free I'm not complaining ;)

I requested that way specifically so that the user is more encouraged to register. But you are right, there are less intrusive ways to go with.

It recognizes bots either way. They get a free pass :)

'Bots' and 'They' .... does that mean this also works for Bing, Yahoo, etc. They get a free pass also? Do they subscribe to the First Click Free ethos too?

Installed, but found it does indeed violate Google First Click Free requirement/policy for migrated/imported forums.

I recently did a migration from vB, and thus Google still indexes most of my content with the vB url - eg. domain.com/forums/showthread.php?t=97098&page=6
I used the archiving feature during migration and have the vB redirect scripts in place.

When clicking on a vB style link within Google, the vB redirect script actions and auto redirects to the correct thread/url within XenForo. But immediately the user gets this add-on pop-up. Thus, I had to uninstall it :(

Any chance of a fix for this scenario?

Top Bottom