Constant errors to do with the robots:

ErrorException: Undefined index: is_robot - library/XenForo/Visitor.php:651
Generated By: Unknown Account, A moment ago
e robots

Code:
ErrorException: Undefined index: is_robot - library/XenForo/Visitor.php:651
Generated By: Unknown Account, A moment ago
e robots
I recieve the same error in the version 1.2, will we see the extension which is compatible with the version 1.2 ?

So what happens if a user comes from a source other than Google? Are they treated to the normal forum or is everything restricted?

it allows the visitor be able to see the whole content if the request comes directly from the search engine(s) (also bots).

Everything other than that, a registration overlay will open.

So, if I'm understanding this correctly, if someone finds your site from a source other than a search engine they won't be able to read anything without registering?

If this source is not a search engine or a bot (supported and recognized by xenforo) the user won't see the content until he registers.

So this is effectively shutting off the forum to unregistered viewers. That sucks.

The idea behind was to encourage visitors to register. Maybe, features and exceptions can be add for instance; letting the visitor see the thread & post when he visits the first time but when he switches to another page it gets restricted...

You can always contribute towards new features, to fit your needs. @Waindigo is fast and reliable when it comes to creating new addons and adding new features to existing ones.

The idea behind was to encourage visitors to register. Maybe, features and exceptions can be add for instance; letting the visitor see the thread & post when he visits the first time but when he switches to another page it gets restricted...

You can always contribute towards new features, to fit your needs. @Waindigo is fast and reliable when it comes to creating new addons and adding new features to existing ones.
Hey, I wasn't complaining. Just pointing out what I saw.

Hey, I wasn't complaining. Just pointing out what I saw.

I wasn't implying you were, I was just pointing out that a feature can be added if you are willing. I had this addon developed to my needs. Everyone has different needs.

So this is effectively shutting off the forum to unregistered viewers. That sucks.
Some forums can have forums that are limited to registered users only for various reasons. In which case, the search engines would not be able to crawl through those forums to index the contents of that forum.

If all your forums give read access to unregistered users, this addon is not needed.

I just installed this for the first time and have some questions:

1) Where is the option for this addon in admin page?
2) I tried to use Google Webmaster Tools "Fetch As Google" feature to fetch a thread that is not accessible by guests and it returned 403, am I mistaken in thinking that Google should've been able to fetch this using this addon?

Thanks!

Some forums can have forums that are limited to registered users only for various reasons. In which case, the search engines would not be able to crawl through those forums to index the contents of that forum.

If all your forums give read access to unregistered users, this addon is not needed.
I just installed this for the first time and have some questions:

1) Where is the option for this addon in admin page?
2) I tried to use Google Webmaster Tools "Fetch As Google" feature to fetch a thread that is not accessible by guests and it returned 403, am I mistaken in thinking that Google should've been able to fetch this using this addon?

Thanks!
You appear to have misunderstood how this add-on works. You have to set your permissions so that it IS viewable by guests. You then install this add-on and any thread that IS viewable to guests is now only viewable to search engine bots and users who find the page through a search.

There are no options for this add-on.

hi @Waindigo ,
Can you make this adon compitable with wiki addon or is there any code that I need to add to wiki template in order to active the addon
Due to the way this add-on works, we would not be looking to support third-party add-ons at this point unless you are willing to contribute to have certain parts of this add-on re-written to make it more flexible. Please PM me if so.

You appear to have misunderstood how this add-on works. You have to set your permissions so that it IS viewable by guests. You then install this add-on and any thread that IS viewable to guests is now only viewable to search engine bots and users who find the page through a search.

There are no options for this add-on.
You're right. I completely misunderstood.

Was looking for implementation of the First Click Free method that allows "restricted" content that is subscription based (or even just requires free registration) to be visible to search engines and users that get referred to that particular content from a search engine.

Google's First Click Free said:
If you offer subscription-based access to your website content, or if users must register to access your content, then search engines cannot access some of your site's most relevant, valuable content.

Implementing Google's First Click Free (FCF) for your content allows you to include your restricted content in Google's main search index.

@cmpe Then this is the add-on you are looking for. I think you are just misunderstanding how to set it up. In order to get it to work you will need to set the permission so that guests can view all content.

Once you install this add-on, guests will then not be able to view ANY content on your site (except through First Click Free).

Top Bottom