1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

First Click Free by Waindigo [Deleted]

Discussion in 'Add-on Releases' started by yavuz, Oct 17, 2012.

1. yavuz

yavuz Well-Known Member

yavuz submitted a new resource:

First Click Free - Smart Content Hiding (version 0.11) - Don't get eaten by Google's Panda! A smart way to hide your content.

Read more about this resource...
  2. Brandon Sheley

Brandon Sheley Well-Known Member

This looks very interesting, thanks for sharing!
    yavuz likes this.
  3. erich37

erich37 Well-Known Member

interesting add-on !

So if I understand correctly, Google will index all content, but the member only sees a certain portion of the content ?

What about "User-Profiles" and "Avatar images" - will this also be indexed by search-engines ?
    I am asking because I do not want to have Member-Pages and Avatar-images indexed by Google, as I am running a Private Dating community.....

4. yavuz

yavuz Well-Known Member

Not exactly, the user and google can see the post content of a thread if the visit is been done via search engine. But clicking any other thread link will trigger a registration request.

• Go to Google
    • Type something, find an indexed thread from the results.
    • Click & access it.
    Now, you are able to see that thread fully, without being asked to register. Now, click on another thread, you'll be asked to register.

Currently it only works in threads. You can make a feature request which xfrocks will adress in due time.
  5. onelife69

onelife69 Member

Really interesting add-on yavuz, do it prevent Google crawling the site freely? I noticed this text on the google guidelines

6. yavuz

yavuz Well-Known Member

Yeap, it's coded exactly to this purpose.
    onelife69 likes this.
  7. DRE

DRE Well-Known Member

I have plenty of hidden content like member's only avatars and stuff inside claerhout's premium bb code and I haven't been punished by Google.
  8. yavuz

yavuz Well-Known Member

The main aspect of this addon is content, avatars and anything outside the post is irrelevant. I guess the google bot's are able to access the hidden content and this hasn't flagged anything. I don't know the coding side of the situation so maybe someone more qualified can give a better answer.
  9. erich37

which add-on are you using for this ?

Many thanks!
  10. erich37

so Google will index the thread-content, but member-profiles will also be indexed ?
  11. DRE

DRE Well-Known Member

erich37 likes this.
  12. yavuz

yavuz Well-Known Member

The addon doesn't hide member profiles at all, only the content of the messages are being hidden.
    Shelley likes this.
  13. gimomo

gimomo Member

Very Very necesary ADD... ;)
  14. Shelley

Shelley Well-Known Member

Reading your release thread a very generous gesture providing this for free to the community. Thanks Yavuz. :notworthy:(y)
    Rob Fritz and yavuz like this.
  15. BenForum

BenForum Active Member

what if google want to reach another thread through one
  16. yavuz

yavuz Well-Known Member

It recognizes bots either way. They get a free pass :)
  17. Mark3121

Mark3121 Well-Known Member

As a guest, when you click on a thread & the popup shows, if the guest does not want to register there is nowhere for them to go except the back button on browser...it would be nice to be able to click outside the popup back to the forum showing the first 200 words of the thread ( or whatever you set it as)

Be nice to able to set the view limit to a couple of threads too :)

But as it's free I'm not complaining ;)
    yavuz likes this.
  18. yavuz

yavuz Well-Known Member

I requested that way specifically so that the user is more encouraged to register. But you are right, there are less intrusive ways to go with.
  19. Mouth

Mouth Well-Known Member

'Bots' and 'They' .... does that mean this also works for Bing, Yahoo, etc. They get a free pass also? Do they subscribe to the First Click Free ethos too?
  20. Mouth

Mouth Well-Known Member

Installed, but found it does indeed violate Google First Click Free requirement/policy for migrated/imported forums.

I recently did a migration from vB, and thus Google still indexes most of my content with the vB url - eg. domain.com/forums/showthread.php?t=97098&page=6
    I used the archiving feature during migration and have the vB redirect scripts in place.

When clicking on a vB style link within Google, the vB redirect script actions and auto redirects to the correct thread/url within XenForo. But immediately the user gets this add-on pop-up. Thus, I had to uninstall it :(

Any chance of a fix for this scenario?