First Click Free by Waindigo [Deleted]

Installed, but found it does indeed violate Google First Click Free requirement/policy for migrated/imported forums.

I recently did a migration from vB, and thus Google still indexes most of my content with the vB url - eg. domain.com/forums/showthread.php?t=97098&page=6
I used the archiving feature during migration and have the vB redirect scripts in place.

When clicking on a vB style link within Google, the vB redirect script actions and auto redirects to the correct thread/url within XenForo. But immediately the user gets this add-on pop-up. Thus, I had to uninstall it :(

Any chance of a fix for this scenario?

Hmm, I did a migration myself but that was a long time ago and no more redirection required. I'll pass this along to xfrocks.

Installed, but found it does indeed violate Google First Click Free requirement/policy for migrated/imported forums.

I recently did a migration from vB, and thus Google still indexes most of my content with the vB url - eg. domain.com/forums/showthread.php?t=97098&page=6
I used the archiving feature during migration and have the vB redirect scripts in place.

When clicking on a vB style link within Google, the vB redirect script actions and auto redirects to the correct thread/url within XenForo. But immediately the user gets this add-on pop-up. Thus, I had to uninstall it :(

Any chance of a fix for this scenario?
The referral information is stripped out during redirect so when user lands on XenForo page, the server can't figure out if user came from Google. The best thing you can do is temporary disable the add-on, wait for Google to index all the new pages, it will take a while. Then you can enable the add-on.

The referral information is stripped out during redirect so when user lands on XenForo page

Thanks, I might take a look an see if perhaps the redirect scripts can be modified to not strip out the original source.

Is there a live demo of this? I'd like to see it in action. So a guest who comes from a google search can see the whole thread? But when they go to click on other threads they get the prompt/login message? Or are all threads blocked and only Google can see them all?

It would be good to be able to set a limit on how many threads the guest can see before being prompted to register, like maybe 5 or 10 or whatever. That way, you tempt the person a bit more to register as they explore your site.

This addon looks very powerful. Just curious what's next for it?

Great idea - but will installing it allow Google to index areas of the forum that currently aren't viewable by guests (or even registered members who haven't been granted permission)?

Great add-on and thanks for the release. Just one thing; where do I find the options for it? :eek:

Any way to make this so you can set which forums it applies to? I currently have public and private forums, but this is coming up with the pop up after viewing one post in the public forums. I only want it to apply to the private members only forums to improve seo.

So guests should be able to view as many posts as they want in normal sections. But if they click a link in google for one of the private forums, they should be shown a snippet then when click somewhere ask them to register!

Please help!

Any way to make this so you can set which forums it applies to? I currently have public and private forums, but this is coming up with the pop up after viewing one post in the public forums. I only want it to apply to the private members only forums to improve seo.

So guests should be able to view as many posts as they want in normal sections. But if they click a link in google for one of the private forums, they should be shown a snippet then when click somewhere ask them to register!

Please help!

I see benefit in this. Maybe xfrocks can pick it up and add this feature when his time frees up.

Please help!
What he said

It recognizes bots either way. They get a free pass :)
Allow me some questions please:

- How does it recognize the bots? and what happens if google comes with other agents and ips?
- Does this work for yahoo and bing etc. too?
- Is there a file where I can add bots and their ips?

In the code I see nothing what points to detect other search engines but google, correct me if I am wrong.

Thank you

Allow me some questions please:

- How does it recognize the bots? and what happens if google comes with other agents and ips?
- Does this work for yahoo and bing etc. too?
- Is there a file where I can add bots and their ips?

In the code I see nothing what points to detect other search engines but google, correct me if I am wrong.

Thank you

The add-on relies on XenForo ability to detect bots so there is no way to configure it for your liking now. List of known robots here

PHP:
public static $knownRobots = array
(
'avsearch',
'baiduspider',
'bingbot',
'crawler',
'facebookexternalhit',
'feedfetcher-google',
'feedzirra',
'googlebot',
'kscrawler',
'magpie-crawler',
'nutch',
'php/',
'scooter',
'scoutjet',
'sogou web spider',
'twitterbot',
'xenforo signature generator',
'yahoo! slurp',
'yandexbot',
'zend_http_client',
);

Hi Xfrocks,

sounds good, I had to ask this question because I asked in another topic if xenforo is able to recognize spiders / bots and the answere there was NO it doesn't. So if I understand your reply, xenforo of course recognizes robots?

Yes, there are code deep inside XenForo core file that detects robots and whether a user came from search engines. However, the information hasn't been used so far. Probably 1.2.

awesome, thank you :) Just one more question please:
In case I want guests to be able to make 5 clicks on my forum before they see the signup form, what do I have to edit in the code?

Thank you very much for your help

awesome, thank you :) Just one more question please:
In case I want guests to be able to make 5 clicks on my forum before they see the signup form, what do I have to edit in the code?

Thank you very much for your help

Counting up to 5 requests requires a lot of edits, sorry.

hmmm would it be possible to make guests allow at least 2 clicks? or is that also too much coding?

Top Bottom