Third party Firefox spell check error

zappaDPJ

Affected version
2.0 RC1
Firefox 56.0.2 (64 bit) (plugins, extensions and dictionaries disabled)
Windows 10 Home 1709

If a word is incorrectly spelt it is briefly highlighted after a space is added but the highlighting is then removed. Incorrectly spelt words are not recognized via a r/h mouse click menu overlay. Deselecting and re-selecting 'Check Spelling' from the same menu will highlight misspellings and enable suggested corrections.

I should correct something.

We're still running 2.7.0 here which is still susceptible to the original issue, I think. The best place to try it is in one of the Froala demos as they are running 2.7.1.

https://www.froala.com/wysiwyg-editor/examples/textarea

I think you'll notice an improvement on 2.7.1 except if you use backspace while typing. They've confirmed that in Firefox 56 and above that triggers the problem.

Hopefully they'll get it sorted in time for 2.7.2. We're waiting to upgrade as we noticed some new issues in 2.7.1 so decided to skip that until they were fixed. We've now reported 4 issues, two of them are fixed already. We'll update this thread if we get any updates on the spell check issue.

The one thing I have noticed here if you move to the next line the previous line will then show the mispelled words and these can be corrected in the normal way.

Was this ever fixed. Numerous members on my forum are complaining of spell check issues when using firefox. Either everything gets highlighted as an error or it doesn't catch errors / changes from error to non-error.

EDIT: Seems like it has not been fixed, I can replicate it here at Xenforo.com. Also noticed this was raised on Aug 11th.
Five months and no fix?

1.webp

Last edited:
As it is a Froala issue, XenForo has no control over the time it takes for a issue to be sorted.
Xenforo can decide which editor to use. Never had a complaint about the editor in 1.x. Now getting numerous complaints. 5 months to fix a simple bug seems a bit long. If the solution is to wait for the unresponsive Froala, maybe the previous editor can be included and forum owners can decide to use one that works or the one with bugs that don't get fixed.

While I would agree that having a choice between editors would be nice, it is just not feasible due to how much integration is needed, it is not like changing a color of the headers.

Blame can also be laid on FireFox for reintroducing the bug in the 56 update.

Last edited:
Can anyone still reproduce this? (cc @AndyB as I know you've had issues with FF and the spell checker before)

I'm using Firefox 59.0b3 and I cannot currently reproduce the issue, so we suspect that FF has fixed the original regression in the meantime. If you can still reproduce it, please let me know which Firefox version you're using (I'm not sure which version they'd have fixed it).

The problem still exists in 58.0.

Would you like me to install Firefox 59.0b3 to test?

Last edited:
I'm back with 58.0 and I can't reproduce the issue.

Incidentally I can also type 'I'm' without my spellchecker highlighting the 'm'. I don't think it was related but I thought I'd mention it.

If the issue appears to be reproducible in 59 or above, please try and capture a video producing the issue on the Froala WYSIWYG home page.

My test...

foala_test_ff_58.webp

Win10 Pro, Latest Build... FF 58.0, No Addons/Extras. (fresh install of FF for this test)

Misspell a bunch of words. Then put 2 spaces after it and see what happens. Also misspell a bunch of words, then do a backspace. See what happens.

Top Bottom