Firefox Release thread -

Have a odd issue since updating to the new 17.0.1. Seems to be a conflict with my Steel Series keyboard. The numbers keys across the top don't work, they just type a blank space but on the keypad on the far right they do. This only started after upgrading. This not only effects typing URLs but also filling out fields. It works fine with a default keyboard too.

Not the OS X version. I often hear this myth and it's never actually happened, at least for me it hasnt. Memory leaks really arent a problem these days unless you're working on a crappy computer with 4GB ram or lower.
I have 6 GB in my MacBook Pro, and I have 6 in my home work station, I have 8 at my work computer. It eats all the RAM up. Given enough time, Chrome will eat through the full RAM load of an X79 based system, 64 G of RAM for that. I've had 50 tabs of Firefox open, often to YouTube, and I've never had more than 800 MB of RAM usage.

Edit: Currently, I'm trying to figure out why Chrome is using a hair under 510 MB of RAM when I only have 2 tabs open to Google search results, and this is on a basic install of Chrome, no extensions of themes, no bookmarks, etc. Whereas my Firefox is using 424 MB of RAM and has 27 active tabs open, with the program riddled with extensions and themes. Both programs behave the same way whether under OSX or Windows.

I have 6 GB in my MacBook Pro, and I have 6 in my home work station, I have 8 at my work computer. It eats all the RAM up. Given enough time, Chrome will eat through the full RAM load of an X79 based system, 64 G of RAM for that. I've had 50 tabs of Firefox open, often to YouTube, and I've never had more than 800 MB of RAM usage.

Edit: Currently, I'm trying to figure out why Chrome is using a hair under 510 MB of RAM when I only have 2 tabs open to Google search results, and this is on a basic install of Chrome, no extensions of themes, no bookmarks, etc. Whereas my Firefox is using 424 MB of RAM and has 27 active tabs open, with the program riddled with extensions and themes. Both programs behave the same way whether under OSX or Windows.
Cant comment on why you're having such problems with it but as I said in my last post, its never been a problem for me. It's noticeable faster than Firefox.

Cant comment on why you're having such problems with it but as I said in my last post, its never been a problem for me. It's noticeable faster than Firefox.
Rick, I am so glad that you've posted. You have no idea how much it means to know that your computer defies the issues that plague Chrome on all platforms. Problems which many users before me have face. Yes siree, your computer is the defacto standard of how well Chrome was engineered. Thank you for taking the time to share your experience with us mere mortals.

Rick, I am so glad that you've posted. You have no idea how much it means to know that your computer defies the issues that plague Chrome on all platforms. Problems which many users before me have face. Yes siree, your computer is the defacto standard of how well Chrome was engineered. Thank you for taking the time to share your experience with us mere mortals.

The sarcasm is strong in this one..

You are most certainly welcome. And thank you for providing such a level headed, non-biast look at both browsing platforms. You've certainly enlightened me as to the benefits of Firefox over Chrome.

Still using Waterfox here, with the adblock plus addon, I don't plan on changing/trying anything else right now, as this seems to work aok for me.

I'm seriously thinking about going back to Firefox from Chrome. Chrome has turned into a bit of a memory hog and has serious issues with shockwave crashing.

I have some crashes too.

Because I work in an office and can't listen to the radio easily thanks to wiring in the walls and a general lack of reception, I listen online to either Slacker or Google Music. About three or four times a day I'm forced to completely log out of Chrome and restart it because of crashes. It's annoying enough that I'm about to make said switch.

I went to Chrome from Firefox because FF used to have a huge issue with memory leaks which I understand has been largely fixed.

Up until about 6 months ago, it seemed every new version of Firefox was getting slower and slower. That trend seems to have been reversed now... But that being said, Firefox has become the new IE for me when it comes to CSS and building sites. It's the browser I'm always having to make custom CSS workarounds for. For example it's the only browser that has no "zoom:" CSS function (it has "transform: zoom()", but it does not work the same). Zoom is terribly useful when building retina compatible websites... I ended up just making Firefox not support retina mode unfortunately.

https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=390936

It's SVG image support is incomplete too.

Okay, I'm done with my rant. :)

On the flip side, it supports SPDY, so that's really nice.

Up until about 6 months ago, it seemed every new version of Firefox was getting slower and slower. That trend seems to have been reversed now... But that being said, Firefox has become the new IE for me when it comes to CSS and building sites. It's the browser I'm always having to make custom CSS workarounds for. For example it's the only browser that has no "zoom:" CSS function (it has "transform: zoom()", but it does not work the same). Zoom is terribly useful when building retina compatible websites... I ended up just making Firefox not support retina mode unfortunately.

https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=390936

It's SVG image support is incomplete too.

Okay, I'm done with my rant. :)

On the flip side, it supports SPDY, so that's really nice.
Google Chrome has become the new IE for me. Granted it's not as bad as IE per say, but I'm always having to fix things for it. Chrome does have a better debug tool than Firefox though. Surprisingly and much to my shock, IE10 isn't bad... It's not good, but it's not bad either.

Overall, maybe because I've been debugging it and helping with some development and so I admit I maybe a little bias.... Firefox is shaping up to be good for me.

We're finally resolving all those memory issues and for the last 6 months things have gotten a lot better (as you've noticed)

Top Bottom