Firefox Release thread -

I've all but abandoned Firefox.
I do miss the awesome bar's ability to find every URL I have ever been to ... but no big deal.

Too bad investigators don't know about Firefox:

WKMG reports that sheriff’s investigators pulled 17 vague entries only from the computer’s Internet Explorer browser, not the Mozilla Firefox browser commonly used by Casey Anthony. More than 1,200 Firefox entries, including the suffocation search, were overlooked.

RLY ? ouch.
http://www.thestar.com/news/world/a...verlooked-foolproof-suffocation-google-search

I abandoned FF a couple of years ago when it became...well...crap.

Compared to Chrome (or any webkit browser for that matter) it's majorly slow and bloated.

Capture2.webp

Anonymous has been having fun developing Firefox. It's getting better now

I went back to Firefox a few months ago. Chrome is slow, bloated and eats RAM like a hungry wildebeest.
Chrome starts out fast, but it does not stay fast. Even with no add-ons or extras added. Leave your browser window up and as you said, it will eat up ram and cpu. Even on a fresh install (both OS and browser).

Chrome is good for those people who are doing a quick e-mail check or status check, but as for working, no

I will admit their developer tools are better than Firefox when doing web design, but again after a while that to eats up resources. And speaking of design, the colors don't look the same in Chrome or Firefox.... Firefox looks better.

I don't know why that is

I leave Chrome open for _weeks_ without problems. As with any browser, YMMV.

My Chrome has been having problem the past few months. Like once or twice a day, it would slow down my entire system to a crawl, almost impossible to move my mouse. Sometimes I can move my mouse to click X and close chrome and the problem goes away. But 9/10 times I need to reset : /

I don't know what cause that. It happens with quite a lot of machine here at my work place and on my home computer as well.

So right now I'm forced back to firefox. Nothing wrong with firefox really, I actually like firebug a lot more than chrome's inspection. I think firebug's display is easier to read.

What operating system are you using, and are you doing anything specific when Chrome becomes unresponsive / your system hangs? It could be a bad disk cache.

A bog standard Chrome install with zero data written to the drive will eat memory slowly. The program has had memory leaks since v.9.

People often mistake high memory usage for memory leaks.

Chrome's performance is dependent on how you use it, and how much available RAM you have. It utilizes a single-process per tab, compared to the single-thread per tab approach other browsers use. A process is allocated its own virtual address space. So, for example, on a 32-bit version of Windows addressing can be up to 4GB, and 8TB on a 64-bit version. There's ups and downs to both approaches.

The average user, who doesn't open more than a few tabs, doesn't use many extensions, and browses page to page most likely isn't going to have anything short of good performance.

Now, one culprit of "memory leaks" is JavaScript (though, you can't have memory leaks in JavaScript, in the strictest sense). If you visit JavaScript heavy sites, you may see Chrome's memory footprint grow over time due to objects being kept alive, unintentionally (DOM leaks). As a process size gets bigger, the garbage collector may struggle to function (and not always clean up properly). If you have any specifics though, I'd love to hear them.

On topic though, the new FF version feels much more snappy than I remember!

Full disclaimer: I'm a Googler (though not part of the Chromium team).

Chrome is good for those people who are doing a quick e-mail check or status check, but as for working, no

I cant agree with that. I use Chrome on a daily basis, it's open from 8:00AM to 11:00PM - sometimes more. Compared to Firefox, it handles long sessions a LOT better. Obviously the Windows version is going to be absolute crab, but the OS X version runs perfectly.

Oh and I use it for a hell of a lot more than 'quick e-mail checks' or 'status checkes'.

Never had any problems with memory usage either. As I write this it's using 62.4mb RAM and 0.2% CPU - I have 14 tabs open right now. I just opened firefox, and idle with just the start page it's using 161.2mb RAM, and 1.2 % of the CPU.

For me Chrome has never had any speed issues. Obviously if you leave ANY program open for weeks on end it'll slow to a crawl eventually.

Funnily enough Safari's still the highest rated browser when it comes to speed though.

One thing is for sure - you cant beat the webkit developer tools that ship with both Safari and Chrome!

A bog standard Chrome install with zero data written to the drive will eat memory slowly. The program has had memory leaks since v.9.
Not the OS X version. I often hear this myth and it's never actually happened, at least for me it hasnt. Memory leaks really arent a problem these days unless you're working on a crappy computer with 4GB ram or lower.

I cant agree with that. I use Chrome on a daily basis, it's open from 8:00AM to 11:00PM - sometimes more. Compared to Firefox, it handles long sessions a LOT better. Obviously the Windows version is going to be absolute crab, but the OS X version runs perfectly.

Oh and I use it for a hell of a lot more than 'quick e-mail checks' or 'status checkes'.

Never had any problems with memory usage either. As I write this it's using 62.4mb RAM and 0.2% CPU - I have 14 tabs open right now. I just opened firefox, and idle with just the start page it's using 161.2mb RAM, and 1.2 % of the CPU.

For me Chrome has never had any speed issues. Obviously if you leave ANY program open for weeks on end it'll slow to a crawl eventually.

Funnily enough Safari's still the highest rated browser when it comes to speed though.

One thing is for sure - you cant beat the webkit developer tools that ship with both Safari and Chrome!
I don't understand you....

You seem to have changed views in the same post.

I tried the latest Firefox. It has improved vs. last year.
They did lose me as a user though for their last year or two of questionable browser releases.
Keep following it.... Anonymous likes the openness of Firefox (open source) and so we've been helping develop it.

Not everything Anon does is bad (and no, not most either).

I don't understand you....

You seem to have changed views in the same post.
Not really.

Let me summarise for you...

Chrome > Firefox :p

Reasons:
- Faster (by a mile)
- No memory leaks (on OS X - dont give a rats ass about Windows)
- Better rendering engine (Webkit > Everything else)
- Better developer tools
- Better standards support
- Built in syncing (even to mobile devices)
- All around best browser for development

(Again - not reviewing based on Windows software here as development on Windows is a joke.)

Top Bottom