Firefox keeps getting better, doesn't it?

Select Customise, ignore the overlay which appears and just drag and drop the reload button, and any others.

Nice one krstep (y)

Not very obvious or intuitive though, I have to say.

OUCH !
http://kb.mozillazine.org/Reducing_memory_usage_(Firefox)
Observing memory usage while Firefox is in safe mode may help tell you whether one of your extensions or themes is causing memory problems.

Memory troubleshooting tools

Firefox developers have written two extensions to help users isolate leak bugs:
  • Leak Monitor : Can alert you immediately when certain types of leaks occur. This makes it easier to figure out what triggers these leaks.
  • RAMBack: Lets you flush many of Firefox's caches, allowing you to distinguish caching from leaking.

One of the things I like about chrome... I don't have to do any of this crap... Just click the tools icon and select "View Background Pages"... it will popup a summary about your memory usage and where it comes from.

After using FF4 for most of the day, upgrading from FF3. I prefer the overall look of the later, seemed faster too than FF4 for me.

Select Customise, ignore the overlay which appears and just drag and drop the reload button, and any others.

Nice one krstep (y)

Not very obvious or intuitive though, I have to say.

Select "Customise" where?

I don't seem to have that as an option :confused:

View - Toolbars - Customize

Ignore the overlay box that pops up and just try and drag the icons around behind it.

I like the new FF4. It takes some getting used to.

The fact that they managed to make it 10x faster makes me a happy camper. :)

For everyone getting bad performance (esp. rendering / scrolling), check the following:

Open a new tab, type about:support in the URL bar

On the resulting page, scroll to the end end review the output for the "Graphics" section. The absolute minimum for decently good performance is that layer acceleration is enabled. The last line (GPU Accelerated Windows) will state whether it is on or off and which version of DirectX is in use by the layer compositor. The lines above are less important for everyday browsing performance - Direct2D and DirectWrite will only accelerate a few special cases like the HTML 5 canvas elements. Right now, only benchmarks benefit from this and this will stay for a while.

WebGL Renderer Google Inc. -- ANGLE -- OpenGL ES 2.0 (ANGLE 0.0.0.541)
GPU Accelerated Windows 1/1 Direct3D 10

On XP, that would be Direct3D 9, 10 only on Vista or Windows 7. If it says something like 0/1, then GPU acceleration is disabled completely. The most common reason for this is that firefox found a incompatible and buggy video driver of which a lot are blacklisted in the code.

BTW: IE9 does exactly the same but it won't tell you and you are not going to notice it until you run some benchmarks, because IE9 doesn't even have a hardware accelerated layer compositor.

The most notable difference of the retained layers in FF4 are visible when you are scrolling a page with a static (non-scrolling) background image in which case scrolling w/o layer composition will be choppy. If the acceleration is enabled, it should be perfectly smooth even with the smooth scrolling feature enabled in the settings.

Haven't really noticed much of a difference in terms of speed, but, the browser is nice
I like the default theme, but did move the refresh/home buttons back to the left, heh
I notice it's using up quite a bit of memory to, right now I've only got this thread open and it's using up 250mb of memory, seems excessive.

LOL firefox 4 copied Opera's look and feel... not bad.

Will see how it performs on javascript-heavy sites. Just downloaded IE 9 as well.

I remember Opera "Mini" when that app came out on the iPhone as the only alternative browser at the time.
The 1 stage zoom was drastically horrid.

Top Bottom