Firefox keeps getting better, doesn't it?

Well in my experience having the same number of extensions and opened tabs I have 122 MB of ram usage while with firefox 4 400-600 MB. Compared you get the picture.
OUCH !
http://kb.mozillazine.org/Reducing_memory_usage_(Firefox)
Observing memory usage while Firefox is in safe mode may help tell you whether one of your extensions or themes is causing memory problems.

Memory troubleshooting tools

Firefox developers have written two extensions to help users isolate leak bugs:
  • Leak Monitor : Can alert you immediately when certain types of leaks occur. This makes it easier to figure out what triggers these leaks.
  • RAMBack: Lets you flush many of Firefox's caches, allowing you to distinguish caching from leaking.

OUCH !
http://kb.mozillazine.org/Reducing_memory_usage_(Firefox)
Observing memory usage while Firefox is in safe mode may help tell you whether one of your extensions or themes is causing memory problems.

Memory troubleshooting tools

Firefox developers have written two extensions to help users isolate leak bugs:
  • Leak Monitor : Can alert you immediately when certain types of leaks occur. This makes it easier to figure out what triggers these leaks.
  • RAMBack: Lets you flush many of Firefox's caches, allowing you to distinguish caching from leaking.

I had one extension that I know was causing memory outburst (video download helper). Some like autopager have similar affects. Now that I'm back to 3.6 I'm gonna chill for a while and wait for some extensions Like Imagebot or extended copy menu deployed over. Thanks for the info digital doctor I never knew these extensions existed :D

Mine has seem to stop since I upgraded to 4.0 (using the firebug ext). But then I'm now using a new system with 8 gig of ram though looking further as stated before it's peaking at 150 where on my 1 gig system using 3.6 it was jumping to 500-600 in a matter of a few minutes. I was almost at the point in giving up on firefox, everything seems to be flowing nicely atm *fingers crossed*

Lucky Duck on the new rig (y) I can't fit any more RAM in my tiny little case unfortunately :(

I might try upgrading to the 4 beta instead of 3.6.x

Does Firebug run on 4 beta?

yes there is a firebug beta for ff4
ff4 is far better than the earlier betas suggested.
i am so happy they have distanced themselves from the chrome mimickery they were showing early on (i love having the statusbar back!).

In FF4, when downloading a file, does the pop-up window still appear? I also hate it when I'm in a rush and the file I'm downloading needs to be scanned or when you're visiting a javascript intensive site, FF just freezes.

In FF4, when downloading a file, does the pop-up window still appear? I also hate it when I'm in a rush and the file I'm downloading needs to be scanned or when you're visiting a javascript intensive site, FF just freezes.
You mean the Downloads window? You can install the "Download Status Bar" extension to go away. Unless you're talking about a security prompt, in which case I think you can turn it off, but it's not recommended.

Why aren't you using the FF4 final version?

LOL I am :p I didn't realise it had gone final :)

Looks good so far, except I don't like how it renders the "triangles" in XF :( sadness.

But it is quick and usable, so I am happy about that!

Pop-up boxes, like when you add a URL link to some forum text looks very plain and bland. Hmm, actually it doesn't here. I just figured it out, my forum using MyBB uses the default basic pop-up box style created by the browser itself, which doesn't look very nice in FF4

You can fix that easily, go to Options -> Toolbar Layout and drag the reload button to the left.

erm... where is the "options" option :p I can only find the Tools/Options which opens a dialog box that doesn't seem to have an option for Toolbar Layout :confused:

Top Bottom