• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

Implemented Filter: Sort by rating

katsulynx

The current "Sort by: Rating" functionality only sorts by the number of ratings. This is really un-intuitive in my opinion, as I'd rather expect it to sort by the actual rating value (5 starts, 4 stars, etc.). Surprisingly, there also is no way to sort by the rating value either. I'd like to have the option to sort by the rating value and a more clear labeling of the sorting option "Rating" as "Number of Ratings", to outline what it actually does.

Mike

XenForo developer
Staff member
It's not sorted by the number of ratings -- it's sorted by a weighted average of the rating. You can confirm this here: https://xenforo.com/community/resources/?order=rating_weighted&direction=desc

(First has 141, second 102, third 137.)

The sorting using (IIRC) a Bayesian average to try to keep genuinely top rated items at the top. With a simple average, a resource with one 5-star rating would be higher rated than another with 99 5-stars and one 1-star (since the pure average would be slightly below 5). Bayesian weighting resolves this.

katsulynx

While a good way to sort, it seems a bit untransparent to the general user in my opinion.

I'd still like to be able to sort by the number of ratings and by the real average then though.