• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

Find results matching ANY keyword (with option?) instead of ALL and just sort by relevance

Ralle

My users have complained on multiple occasions after switching from vBulletin search to XenForo Enhanced Search because they want to enter a bunch of synonyms and get a whole swath of results instead of none. For example, they want to write "troll gnome ogre goblin" and find a lot of similar things but they expect none of them contain all these words in tandem. I can understand how XenForo search is better at narrowing down results, but it seems limiting to at least not have the option to switch between any/all or maybe even a syntax to use which would allow it, maybe even combined.

Mr Lucky

@Ralle you can use the pipe "|" to-do OR, + for AND, and - for NOT. Pity this isn't documented anywhere.
This is a bit confusing to me. I just tested and it seems the pipe | for "or" only works if it has a space either side, but + needs to have no space.