1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

RM 1.2 Sort By Rating Not Working As Intended

Discussion in 'Resource Manager Support' started by Divvens, Jul 28, 2016.

1. Divvens

Divvens Well-Known Member

Attached Files:

• 01.png
      01.png
      File size:
      179.8 KB
      Views:
  2. Divvens

3. Mike

Mike XenForo Developer Staff Member

The rating is weighted with a confidence value. The number of ratings will change that confidence (1 5-star rating is not necessarily better than 9 5-star and 1 4-star). The sort is based on that, but for clarity sake, the stars indicate the raw average.

0 ratings is equivalent to 3 stars.

Divvens likes this.
  4. Divvens

This seems to be causing a confusion within my users, I guess I need to explain them why 0 ratings is showing up above 3 star.

Though isn't it weird if 0 rating shows up above rated content while sorting via rating? People expect to see rated content above, I can agree with the confidence part, as indeed 9-5 star + 1 4 star > 1-5 star, but when you sort via ratings you expect to see everything that is rated above those non-rated? At least in terms of quality, something that has received a rating is more likely to be better than something that has not received a rating. It's not always the case, but I just wanted to know if this is expected behavior or will it change.

5. Divvens

I see its the same in Media, well, I'll just explain my users then. Sorry for the bother!

6. Mike

Mike XenForo Developer Staff Member

Regarding what I bolded, something that hasn't received any ratings would probably sit in a statistical middle when it comes to "chance of being good". If something has had 10 1-star ratings, I would think it's likely to be demonstrably worse than a new item. It could be a bad item but it could be a good item, so putting it in the middle seems appropriate to me.

This isn't something that will change.

Divvens likes this.