XF 1.0 File Upload and Image Placement Using Quick Reply

Status
Not open for further replies.
Everybody loves quick reply. Most forum software has implemented it in some form these days, but it tends to be lacking some functionality that means you often have to drag yourself back to the full editor page to achieve what you want, especially when it comes to attaching files to your messages.

XenForo allows you to upload files and place uploaded images into your posts right from the quick reply box when you're viewing a thread, you can then submit your message and it will be added to the discussion instantly.

... without ever leaving the page or opening a separate browser window.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

I suggest you view this video at full-size by clicking the full-screen gadget in the bottom-right of the video.

is Flash being used here at XF ?

XenForo already had to kill HTML5 video functionality because of issues with layers and inline frames. :p that sucks for Apple iOS users. :(

I guess usage of Flash in the multi-file-uploader means Apple iPad users would be stuck with the basic version here as well.

The new upload system uses Flash to overcome the limitations of HTML. The iPad does not support the HTML file upload control at all anyway (as far as I can tell) so the use of Flash for the enhanced system makes no difference to iOS users.

alright. i would chip in again! can you use the HTML5 thingy (example) along with flash thingy for file uploads?

modern browsers can use HTML5. other browsers can use SWF?

maybe in a future version. just asking!

It really doesn't make sense for us to implement a complex feature that is not accessible to the majority of users (namely IE users). On the other hand, Flash has absolutely massive market penetration.

let's pray for massive adoption of IE9 as soon as it is released. though it would take years before it can overtake the market share of IE 6/7/8. :)

by the way, any plan to add the google chrome frame meta tag by default on xenforo?

<meta http-equiv="X-UA-Compatible" content="chrome=1">

Microsoft have guaranteed that IE9 will not see rapid massive adoption by withholding it from Windows XP. Disaster, in my humble opinion.

I'm struggling to see the point of Chrome Frame. Surely anyone with the technical know-how to have found and installed Chrome Frame would be more likely to be using Chrome as their browser anyway? Or am I missing something here?

well. a couple of things. some users may not like the chrome interface but would want to use their rendering engine. i know you use chrome (i do too!) but google provides that meta tag for a good reason! and they developed google chrome frame for those cases.

maybe for uncles and aunts who are stuck with IE and do not want/like to shift... those cases.

another reason.

google is actually working on making google chrome frame installer to NOT NEED administrative powers. so office folks might soon be able to install it without requiring their network admin's interference. a lot of folks i guess are still stuck with IE6 in office environments...

We’ve set aggressive goals for future releases: we’re working on making start-up speed even faster and removing the current requirement for administrator rights to install the plug-in.

i believe i do not have a solid case. but it is probably a 2 minute implementation! and worth considering for a while. :)

update: by adding it right now, it can get some testing rightaway. and if there are no problems, it can be included in the beta/stable build. and users can in fact start promoting alternate browsers while offering a workaround for people who want to stay on IE while using all the cool new features (CSS3?).

arrrgh. right. looks like that's how it is!

flickr has incidentally just added support for android devices. i can now upload multiple files to flickr using their website in android web browser! they do not specify adobe flash but they do say its only available on android 2.2.

update: my n1 does not have flash installed. i tried the uploader just now. i could only upload one image at a time. :| might test again after installing flash on it.

argh. flickr does not mention multiple file uploads. http://blog.flickr.net/en/2010/09/23/new-browser-based-uploads-on-android-2-2/

I wonder if the filter has an option to filter any instance of the word or allow it if it is part of another word. Hmm.
Looks like they've done it using wildcards.
I've raised it as a bug just in case as what I posted above is quite common.

This is just extra, non-standard, unnecessary markup. I don't really see a point to this.

The point is for people who have Google chrome frame on their IE installations.

We are all techies here using Firefox(es) and Chrome(s). The point is that in the real world... Majority of web users are still currently on one or the other variant of IE. And some of them have installed GCF by choice. Others have no idea that they are running GCF (installed by their kids/friends/relatives). These are the people who might be the user of forums that would be powered by XF (maybe not the ones you or me would run).

One meta tag is not going to make the source code bloaty. I bet there are many more lines in the overall source code of XF that is there just to make the forum work in IE6 (some of which might be hacks and not exactly standard markup). My 2 cents.

I am not asking you to add IE9 specific non-standard codes ;) which i believe is truly evil but i fear would become part of many apps in the future. WordPress.com has already added them. :mad:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom