XF 1.0 File Upload and Image Placement Using Quick Reply

Status
Not open for further replies.
Everybody loves quick reply. Most forum software has implemented it in some form these days, but it tends to be lacking some functionality that means you often have to drag yourself back to the full editor page to achieve what you want, especially when it comes to attaching files to your messages.

XenForo allows you to upload files and place uploaded images into your posts right from the quick reply box when you're viewing a thread, you can then submit your message and it will be added to the discussion instantly.

... without ever leaving the page or opening a separate browser window.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

I suggest you view this video at full-size by clicking the full-screen gadget in the bottom-right of the video.

Just found this thread, and this feature is absolutely awesome! :)

Check out www.imgur.com for multiple-image uploading done right from the user's perspective. In this case, I think sacrificing "pure" HTML for the ability to upload multiple files at a time may be necessary. :)
Done right? I would have to say the standard is showing the user the uploaded image after uploading :D

I would have to say I like Kier's method of uploading. Forget uploading multiple files and do one at a time as it seems to do it fast based on the connection.

Don't know if someone said anything but I did notice in the video that when you have taken up the entire space of the editor you have no scrollbar appear but you can still scroll it.
Otherwise, great feature, I'm anxious for this now.
This has been annoying me for a while now. Usually I just hit the down arrow until the cursor gets to the bottom of the box. :)

Done right? I would have to say the standard is showing the user the uploaded image after uploading :D
I'm talking more about how the upload form functions. You can select multiple files in the file select dialog, when you click OK it lists those files, and it's one button to upload them all, with a progress bar. Simple, clean, fast. :)

Easiest would be to stick to what is there now, and upon selecting one file, a new browse field appears for a second one. When it has a file selected, a new one below it appears again ..

This way up to 3 per "upload file" can be added. And no java applet or flash is needed.

Easiest would be to stick to what is there now, and upon selecting one file, a new browse field appears for a second one. When it has a file selected, a new one below it appears again ..

This way up to 3 per "upload file" can be added. And no java applet or flash is needed.
I had a similar idea that I've been giving some thought.

When I have some time I will also take a look at plupload, though you must understand my reticence to integrate such a tool is based only on my lack of experience with the platform, which could potentially result in me being unable to offer meaningful support to my customers.

Improved image support system wide(when CMS and Blogs come to term here) would push me in the direction of getting XenForo.

IPB does a lot of things great and they are always thinking ahead, but in the conversations I have had over there about the handling of images it sure doesn't seem to get any interest, which is ashame because I know they could do a good job of it.

Keep up the good work here guys.

Jamie

Very nice uploader, it would be very handy if it could detect iPhone/iPad and allow photo uploads from them too.

Xenforo looks and feels excellent on iPad, having photo upload from iPhone or iPad would be mint.

XenForo already had to kill HTML5 video functionality because of issues with layers and inline frames. :p that sucks for Apple iOS users. :(

I guess usage of Flash in the multi-file-uploader means Apple iPad users would be stuck with the basic version here as well.

well i had say blame microsoft! html5 i believe does provide this functionality. it also supports drag and drop i think. :|

XenForo already had to kill HTML5 video functionality because of issues with layers and inline frames. :p that sucks for Apple iOS users. :(

I guess usage of Flash in the multi-file-uploader means Apple iPad users would be stuck with the basic version here as well.
We use an HTML video player for Vimeo, but the YouTube player was problematic.

You can add your own from the control panel without extra code, but we will look at extra default sites.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom