XF 1.0 File Upload and Image Placement Using Quick Reply

Status
Not open for further replies.
Everybody loves quick reply. Most forum software has implemented it in some form these days, but it tends to be lacking some functionality that means you often have to drag yourself back to the full editor page to achieve what you want, especially when it comes to attaching files to your messages.

XenForo allows you to upload files and place uploaded images into your posts right from the quick reply box when you're viewing a thread, you can then submit your message and it will be added to the discussion instantly.

... without ever leaving the page or opening a separate browser window.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

I suggest you view this video at full-size by clicking the full-screen gadget in the bottom-right of the video.

It's a word censor Kier put on purpose to remind people how to spell his name, which if you look around the site, a lot of incorrect spelling still happens. ;) I don't find it insulting at all, and it isn't some "Gramnar Nazi" feature that's being tested.

Ohh I knew why it was done that way I just know simple mistakes can happen and not everyone who misspells your name is truly being disrespectful. I just know if your going to sell a product it should not contain smart remarks or distasteful words... I once noticed sh*t and some other words in some scripts for CimPACK software and they charge upwards of 3,000 per license/key depending on the version and I was taken back... it's just unprofessional imo, I'm glad to see it gone as that bodes better for xenForo but hey they own/make it so do as you wish but I do appreciate it being removed regardless ;).

Aye! Back to topic, I didn't mean to invade this thread I just encountered that first when posting here :D.

Amazing !!
If only we could choose to upload multiple images at once... :)
It can get very time consuming to upload 10+ images (10+ extra clicks).
I'll second this request. It was immediately obvious how much easier it would be to select multiple images.

Once again, HTML does not support selecting multiple files. Achieving this functionality requires a java applet or a Flash element.

Americans will be biased as Kier's English. (While I suppose I have a Philadelphian accent, with saying "wuder" [water] and all... :))
Mike, I knew you were from the US but didn't realize you were a local boy. From Philly itself or the burbs?

Once again, HTML does not support selecting multiple files. Achieving this functionality requires a java applet or a Flash element.
It would be nice if you had Flash, HTML5 and maybe Silverlight as options for multiple uploads, with a fallback to standard HTML if none of them are present.

Also you could use SWFUpload to save yourselves some time, although I'm not entirely sure an MIT license allows commercial use.

being able to select a few files from a directory in one go would be a great feature (and if you were on a device which didn't support it, it could fall back to the one-at-a-time option)

I do believe Xenforo needs a flash or java applet then, multiple uploads should be the minimum for attachments.
I dread to think uploading 10 or more attachments, which users on my forum do quite frequently.

I do believe Xenforo needs a flash or java applet then, multiple uploads should be the minimum for attachments.
I dread to think uploading 10 or more attachments, which users on my forum do quite frequently.

you might be able to solve this by using any of the add-ons ?

Just let Kier + Mike do what THEY think is the best for the majority of webmasters.
Not everybody is happy with the use of Flash and Java on their website.

One more plug for http://www.plupload.com/

If you're going to do anything that handles multiple uploads you NEED to look plupload, it's by the same folks as tinymce, has a great commercial license avaialable, and it does SO much more than just multiple uploads. It can resize the image on the WORKSTATION rather than the server. Reducing bandwidth, as well as user time and frustration. Can't begin to express how much trouble it would save if non tech savvy users didn't have to worry about resizing the 4 MB images they want to upload. This would be a huge quality of life issue for the members, and a bandwidt and storage benefit for the forum admin :).

Awesome awesome uploader... :)

Just found this thread, and this feature is absolutely awesome! :)

Check out www.imgur.com for multiple-image uploading done right from the user's perspective. In this case, I think sacrificing "pure" HTML for the ability to upload multiple files at a time may be necessary. :)

you might be able to solve this by using any of the add-ons ?

Just let Kier + Mike do what THEY think is the best for the majority of webmasters.
Not everybody is happy with the use of Flash and Java on their website.
While I do agree with that statement, I also am sure a lot of us administrators (and users, don't forget) like to be able to upload more than one attachment at a time.

Even here I've found it annoying to upload 3 different attachments separately instead of just selecting them all from the directory and uploading them that way.

Don't know if someone said anything but I did notice in the video that when you have taken up the entire space of the editor you have no scrollbar appear but you can still scroll it.

Otherwise, great feature, I'm anxious for this now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom