XF 1.0 File Upload and Image Placement Using Quick Reply

Status
Not open for further replies.
Everybody loves quick reply. Most forum software has implemented it in some form these days, but it tends to be lacking some functionality that means you often have to drag yourself back to the full editor page to achieve what you want, especially when it comes to attaching files to your messages.

XenForo allows you to upload files and place uploaded images into your posts right from the quick reply box when you're viewing a thread, you can then submit your message and it will be added to the discussion instantly.

... without ever leaving the page or opening a separate browser window.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

I suggest you view this video at full-size by clicking the full-screen gadget in the bottom-right of the video.

Americans will be biased as Kier's English. (While I suppose I have a Philadelphian accent, with saying "wuder" [water] and all... :))

I am no English native speaker but I always admired British English a lot. Nothing against our friends in the US, but it is far more pleasant to listen to an English speaker for me.

(I am not technical)

You can only upload one file at a time with HTML's <input type="file" />. (Yes, you can use Flash to upload multiple files.)

Request: Please make this software as reliable/bulletproof as possible. If that means doing things like limiting attachments to 1 at a time, and requiring changes/mods to add multiple attachments at a time, that will save *much* grief. Not only for various xf admins, but also for doing technical support for xf. Hope that made sense.

It looks fantastic to me.

Like the quick reply however I think I still have to get used to:
2. clicking reply on a post will take me to the bottom of the page even if it is the first post of the page that I click reply
Right click the reply button and choose to open in a new tab or window (whichever you prefer). :)

Will it be easy to enlarge the editor? We use a lot of function in our editor like subscript, supersctipt, float and some more

ci-editor.webp

I really like how the thumbnails are automatically resized as the browser window is made smaller or larger. I know that board software like vB and IPB also prevent thumbnails from generating horizontal scroll bars on the browser window, but this is the only software I've seen that can do dynamic resizing.

I couldn't even pay attention to the video but just that sexy voice! :) I have a girlfriend and a child no worries lol :)

But... on a serious note I LOVE this feature, also as mentioned above the only thing I'd like to see is multi-upload, highlight 5 files and it would upload all of them.

Great work though guys!

I couldn't even pay attention to the video but just that sexy voice! :) I have a girlfriend and a child no worries lol :)

But... on a serious note I LOVE this feature, also as mentioned above the only thing I'd like to see is multi-upload, highlight 5 files and it would upload all of them.

Great work though guys!

100% agree with you there on multiple uploads. It'd be (visually) easy to implement, too. In the same window that pops up, just drag the cursor over multiple images and they all upload at once. I believe IPB 3.x allows for multiple uploads using JavaScript, although it's not quite as elegant.

So, let's test this....:)

022039.webp

Nice small thumbnail....

bambinis.webp

And a full size picture....

rotaxjunioren.webp

and an even bigger image.

Nice....

Scott

I must admit I never tested uploading files through quick reply.

From what I can infer from the video this is so nice !!

Excellent functionality. :) And a great presentation!

The three things that jump out at me are:

1. As others have mentioned the one image at a time is a bit awkward.
2. Again as mentioned above, clicking on a thumb really should bring up the image in highslide (much prefer highslide to lightbox as it can be non-modal so you can compare images, move them out of the way of the text while still having them visible etc).
3. I cringe when images are uploaded as attachments, and aren't available anywhere else in the system, it's a dreadful waste of user generated content. Hopefully those attachments are associated in the DB with the member that uploaded them so that the Gallery (when it's developed) comes around all those images/files can be found/reused?

Much better interface though! And I LOVE the built in thumbnail and large image resize zoom. Excellent!

Hey Mrs. Kier! Nice to see you are also joining in here.

Ah, the humor of the good ol'days. Boxy, you make may day.;)

And Kier could have a voice like tweety bird, it wouldn't matter. As Brandon says, his work speaks for him.

Scott

The only issue I've noticed is when previewing the post the embedded images appear as text.

preview.webp

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom