Fixed FFMPEG Issues

Liam W

in memoriam 1998-2020
So,

I've installed ffmpeg using centminmod system, and setup the option, however it keeps on telling me it can't be run...

Running it manually, I get output:

Code:
[root@torture Helper]# /usr/bin/ffmpeg -encoders

FFmpeg version 0.6.5, Copyright (c) 2000-2010 the FFmpeg developers

built on Jan 29 2012 17:52:15 with gcc 4.4.5 20110214 (Red Hat 4.4.5-6)

configuration: --prefix=/usr --libdir=/usr/lib64 --shlibdir=/usr/lib64 --mandir=/usr/share/man --incdir=/usr/include --disable-avisynth --extra-cflags='-O2 -g -pipe -Wall -Wp,-D_FORTIFY_SOURCE=2 -fexceptions -fstack-protector --param=ssp-buffer-size=4 -m64 -mtune=generic -fPIC' --enable-avfilter --enable-avfilter-lavf --enable-libdc1394 --enable-libdirac --enable-libfaac --enable-libfaad --enable-libfaadbin --enable-libgsm --enable-libmp3lame --enable-libopencore-amrnb --enable-libopencore-amrwb --enable-librtmp --enable-libschroedinger --enable-libspeex --enable-libtheora --enable-libx264 --enable-gpl --enable-nonfree --enable-postproc --enable-pthreads --enable-shared --enable-swscale --enable-vdpau --enable-version3 --enable-x11grab

libavutil     50.15. 1 / 50.15. 1

libavcodec    52.72. 2 / 52.72. 2

libavformat   52.64. 2 / 52.64. 2

libavdevice   52. 2. 0 / 52. 2. 0

libavfilter    1.19. 0 /  1.19. 0

libswscale     0.11. 0 /  0.11. 0

libpostproc   51. 2. 0 / 51. 2. 0

/usr/bin/ffmpeg: missing argument for option 'encoders'

However, the output includes an error, and the command returns a status code of 1, which of course makes XFMG complain.

Any ideas?

Liam

XFMG requires FFMPEG version 1.1.0 and above. You need to update it.

Annoyingly, the version check doesn't seem to be actually working properly - it needs a return code of 0 to get that far, and obviously it isn't in this case, so I do need to move this to bugs but ultimately it doesn't change the fact you need to update ;)

By the way; the simplest way to get this working is to use an FFMPEG static build:
FFmpeg Static Builds

Just replace the ffmpeg binary on your server with the one in the download package on that page. You literally only need to worry about the ffmpeg file - we don't use any of the others in the bundle.

Yes, I'm centminmod user also.
But I do not install anything, I just downloaded the static build and everything works as expected.

I have made some changes here for the next release.

In the event that the -encoders argument doesn't exist in FFmpeg because it's an old version, we still inspect the shell output because that will actually contain the FFmpeg version details, and therefore we can show you a more detailed error.

I also cleared up a bit of potential ambiguity in the code whereby if we couldn't find a version, we assumed it was version 0 therefore would give an error about the version not being supported which may not be correct. Similar change was made with regards to looking for the supported encoders.

Finally, in case you're still having difficulty setting this up, we published a guide in the Resource Manager today which may help:

Compiling FFmpeg From Source

Thanks!

Top Bottom