Few questions about XenForo (coming from vB 4)

shyguy82

Hello,

I'm not sure if this is the right place to post this (I didn't find any pre-sale questions forum). If I were to purchase XenForo, I have a few questions if you don't mind:

1. How is it going to handle the import from vB (3, 4)?
  2. Since XenForo is just a forum software, how is it going to handle import from vB's blogs and CMS (if applicable)
  3. If vB's CMS and Blogs cannot be brought into XenForo, is XenForo capable of running in conjunction with other CMC systems (Joomla, Wordpress, Drupal).
Thank you

1. Good. Kier is a vB3 developer, so he made a vB3 importer in 3 seconds ;) The vB4 db scheme is not very different from the vB3 one so a vB4 will also be ready.
2. It won't. XenForo is just a Forum at the moment and you will have to use programs like WordPress or so as homepage. Sooner or later a XenAdvanced (CMS) will come out, but not by XenForo themselves.
3. That's a long way ahead. But I guess it will. I cannot say it yet.

1. Good. Kier is a vB3 developer, so he made a vB3 importer in 3 seconds ;) The vB4 db scheme is not very different from the vB3 one so a vB4 will also be ready.
2. It won't. XenForo is just a Forum at the moment and you will have to use programs like WordPress or so as homepage. Sooner or later a XenAdvanced (CMS) will come out, but not by XenForo themselves.
3. That's a long way ahead. But I guess it will. I cannot say it yet.

Remember the uber importer developer is still Jerry :p

That IS the question. Would I have to run with 2 different user's base? If the answer is YES then I guess XF is not for me, as I use CMS extensively. :)

Shamil, I don't doubt it but by looking at other forum software bridges, sadly I haven't found a single one that would work 100%
You're being a bit pessimistic really. Just because you haven't found anything suitable for other forum software doesn't mean you won't find it with xenForo.

Of course you won't get it straight away but something might come out soon.

You're being a bit pessimistic really. Just because you haven't found anything suitable for other forum software doesn't mean you won't find it with xenForo.

Of course you won't get it straight away but something might come out soon.

My apologies for coming out that way but I've burned bridges before, we all have (vB pre-sale anyone?) that's why I'm very skeptical about jumping in and buying XF for $40 less. I don't mind paying a full price so long as the software meets at least the bare minimum. The only reason I'm saying is this is because I can already see my users (I have 160,000 of them) asking: "where is this feature, where is that feature and the rant will never end :)

My apologies for coming out that way but I've burned bridges before, we all have (vB pre-sale anyone?) that's why I'm very skeptical about jumping in and buying XF for $40 less. I don't mind paying a full price so long as the software meets at least the bare minimum. The only reason I'm saying is this is because I can already see my users (I have 160,000 of them) asking: "where is this feature, where is that feature and the rant will never end :)
Yeah they can be a pain at times.

Maybe you could post something linking here and asking what they think of it?

Yeah they can be a pain at times.

Maybe you could post something linking here and asking what they think of it?

Good idea, link them to the Have You Seen section: http://xenforo.com/community/forums/have-you-seen/

Guys, Im all up for that but I've look at those "Have you seen" features, they are mad cool but overall the forum is lacking "plain" features that everyone is used to :( that's why Im very reluctant to link them here.

Guys, Im all up for that but I've look at those "Have you seen" features, they are mad cool but overall the forum is lacking "plain" features that everyone is used to :( that's why Im very reluctant to link them here.
You know, let your forum members decide...they may actually like what you consider "plain".

Shamil, I can truly go on for hours, but even from the first glance (looking at this page specifically)

My users are used to see:

under avatar
Number of posts
Registration Date
Search within this thread
Send by email
Subscribe to this thread (without actually posting anything in it)
Rate this thread
Select all posts with attachments
Select all posts

Forum/Thread
Who's viewing forum
Who's viewing thread

etc
And this is only on this (view thread) page. I don't really want to sound like I'm bashing XF, I just want to point out some of the features that my users are used to.:)

The only reason Im bringing this up is because some of the features in vB 4 were missing after upgrading from vB 3.8 and I still hear those rants about "where is this feature, where is that feature" :)

Please allow me to address a few of those elements.
With regards to the information in the postbit, click on the avatar. Do you like what you see?
Searching within thread would be nice - though to this date, I haven't used it at all, on any forum.
Send by email - people use this :o
Subscribe to this thread. There's a link called "Watch Thread". That's the same as subscribing.
Rate this thread. I really don't know of many forums which use this feature extensively, though, this may be included at some point.
Select all posts / with attachments - I'll need to test the software for myself to comment on this. Even vBulletin doesn't have the "Select all posts with attachments" feature, or rather, enhancement.
Forum/Thread viewing. This really has no bearing on my forum viewers at all. In fact, I've removed it from my forum, and so it's one less query.

Shamil, I can truly go on for hours, but even from the first glance (looking at this page specifically)

My users are used to see:

under avatar
Number of posts
Registration Date
Send by email
Rate this thread
Select all posts

Forum/Thread
Who's viewing forum
Who's viewing thread

etc
And this is only on this (view thread) page. I don't really want to sound like I'm bashing XF, I just want to point out some of the features that my users are used to.:)

The only reason Im bringing this up is because some of the features in vB 4 were missing after upgrading from vB 3.8 and I still hear those rants about "where is this feature, where is that feature" :)
under avatar
Number of posts
Registration Date
Location Check the Kitchen Sink style, you will notice a different postbit.

Send by email
Rate this thread
Select all posts

Yes, some of this is missing but subscribing...that's replaced by watching. All you do is click on the top and watch the thread and you have the option of receiving emails or not. Rather than rate the thread, LIKE the post!. Send by email is a mod.

Thanks for pointing out some of them but you have to believe me when I tell you, I'm not trying to bash XF but from judging by upgrade from vB3.8 to vB4 I don't hear the end of those rants :) Im all up for XF and I will probably get it when it matures. :)

Top Bottom