Few questions about XenForo (coming from vB 4)

shyguy82

Hello,

I'm not sure if this is the right place to post this (I didn't find any pre-sale questions forum). If I were to purchase XenForo, I have a few questions if you don't mind:

1. How is it going to handle the import from vB (3, 4)?
  2. Since XenForo is just a forum software, how is it going to handle import from vB's blogs and CMS (if applicable)
  3. If vB's CMS and Blogs cannot be brought into XenForo, is XenForo capable of running in conjunction with other CMC systems (Joomla, Wordpress, Drupal).
Thank you

My apologies for coming out that way but I've burned bridges before, we all have (vB pre-sale anyone?) that's why I'm very skeptical about jumping in and buying XF for $40 less. I don't mind paying a full price so long as the software meets at least the bare minimum. The only reason I'm saying is this is because I can already see my users (I have 160,000 of them) asking: "where is this feature, where is that feature and the rant will never end :)
Have you ever bought a web product and deployed it immediately? I'm guessing that you install, test, and tweak software for at least a month, and probably closer to 2-3 months before seriously considering deploying it to your users.

Some people believe that XenForo is going to kick *** and chew bubblegum on its first day; and it just might. But the target audience of XenForo (in its Beta state) is as much for the modification/style community as forum administrators.

It's not really that crucial to me what features XenForo ships with, if 6 months from now, the functionality I need has been added by the third-party community. I do feel strongly that XenForo should ship with a mobile-friendly style, and I think wherever possible, the core should expose all necessary functionality to write good plugins.

For the first time, I'm actually going to do this properly - get a test install and really get to grips with the software, and make sure that the import of data works. Then I'm going to let my other staff play with it and get to grips. AND I'll have it skinned/colour schemed before rolling it out proper.
By that time I'm hoping that some sort of CMS etc will have appeared, and other useful modifications, addons etc.
I bought VB4Suite in the presale, but only installed it at the end of May by which time we were on 4.0.3. I've not upgraded it to 4.0.7 yet because I've lost track of which bugs have been fixed and what other bugs are installed with 4.0.7.
I'm grimly hanging on until xF has the functionality and features to make my users go "wow!" I've got a date in mind by which time I want to have xF live on my site, and if everything goes to plan I'm hoping to start a new year with the future of Forum experiences. :)

I made a mistake buying VB4 Suite, but I think I've learned from it.

Top Bottom