Few questions about XenForo

RisteDimitrievski

I wonder if we have permissions to edit the XenForo core functionality with leaving ofc license, branding (if my client does not purchase branding removal) etc.

I need to remove Email and Password Functionality, current existing authentication to be rewritten with Metamask which will be handled with Moralis that communicates with Blockchains.
also installation for setup Moralis server and setup administrator account with Metamask as well and other things as well like uploading avatar with user NFT assets only.

i know i have a lot of things to change but the next question will be:

1. Is template data while installing the software fetched via xenforo.com via API or it has been stored in software data, because i install/data i did not find anything to be inserted in xf_template table?

Thank you for your time to read all of this :)

You can edit the code and templates to suit - there are no limits (other than the copyright).

The templates are compiled during installation - nothing is fetched from our servers.

You can edit the code and templates to suit - there are no limits (other than the copyright).

The templates are compiled during installation - nothing is fetched from our servers.
And where are the templates source path including compilation path for those templates??

This addon should be able to help you do that:

No addon will do that because we're going to rewrite the core functions including database. The columns there that were not needed will be removed from installation data as well.

Because i will need to extend the installation with some extra steps that will implement Moralis server setup. Later will be used as primary authentication and registration :).

That will make it difficult on upgrades and fixes, you would be better writing you own APP / PlugIn to do what you want and leave the core files as-is
Yea it will make, hovever they decided to do this and the developers should make future fixes for the app.
And login with user & pass and email address will be unsupported by default.

I need to figure it out where the templates are fetching from then inserting in the database, because they should be modified as well. As well controllers that handles email alerts, forum watching etc...

I would definitely leave things be but hamper them using an add on and then use template modifications to alter the log in dialog. This way you don’t need to branch out XF. Highly recommended.

I would definitely leave things be but hamper them using an add on and then use template modifications to alter the log in dialog. This way you don’t need to branch out XF. Highly recommended.
Nope, because the company i'm working in, simple did not like to use standard login with user/password and email, password and unneeded columns in base should be removed.
Only username will be leaved and login & signups will be handled with Metamask account :).

for my own work probably i'll leave username/password login because i'm still pessimist regarding security mechanism of Metamask :D.

Nope, because the company i'm working in, simple did not like to use standard login with user/password and email, password and unneeded columns in base should be removed.
In that case there’s also a lot of spaces prefixing each line in the code that could be removed to save space. And line breaks.

I don’t know your situation but your company doesn’t know enough about XenForo. What they want you do to is build a fort of technical debt by customising these things unnecessarily.
Sorry.

In that case there’s also a lot of spaces prefixing each line in the code that could be removed to save space. And line breaks.

I don’t know your situation but your company doesn’t know enough about XenForo. What they want you do to is build a fort of technical debt by customising these things unnecessarily.
Sorry.

Simple, want to use decentralized applications like Metamask for login/sign up.

That doesn't mean you have to modify the existing code for XenForo as you can write addons to replace components to suit your purposes. That's the point they're trying to make.
Problem is that Two Factor Authorization is useless here in my situation because it won't need. Also email address, password and those things.
I did already created an addon, but they simple want to rewrite and remove some functionality as it will be useless. :)

The more you change (completely unnecessarily) the more work you have to upgrade to future versions since you’ll have to remove all that stuff from 2.3, 2.4 etc assuming the site doesn’t implode along with the rest of the cryptohype.

(In any case, tying your site’s login exclusively to another service rather than local email/password means you better hope there isn’t an outage or their change their API before you can update your end.)

The more you change (completely unnecessarily) the more work you have to upgrade to future versions since you’ll have to remove all that stuff from 2.3, 2.4 etc assuming the site doesn’t implode along with the rest of the cryptohype.

(In any case, tying your site’s login exclusively to another service rather than local email/password means you better hope there isn’t an outage or their change their API before you can update your end.)
There will be no user/pass combination for upgrade system too. Using dApps for login will improve security of the forum :).

I knew that i'll have a lot of work there for upgrading.

Top Bottom