Resource icon

Facebook OpenGraph Image from [img] or [attach] tags 1.3

No permission to download
I see. Well, that makes sense. I had only tried it with 480p image, so both hqdefault.jpg and 0.jpg were the exact same, lol

CrispinP updated Facebook OpenGraph Image from [img] or [attach] tags with a new update entry:

version 1.3 - now grabs YouTube screen grab as well.

I've taken over the resource from Julian.

Small change in this update which I wanted for my own site (www.landcruiserclub.net) - if you embed a youtube video then this will extract the default creen grab for the video and use that as the og:image url

I have a few other bits I will add to it in the coming weeks. If you have any ideas then throw them this way and I'll try get them in.

As always, comments and suggestions welcome.

Read the rest of this update entry...

I can't seem to get this to work. All installed OK, but when we share to FB it still shows the Xenforo image, not the one in the thread? Would really love to get this working, any help appreciated!

You have two og:image tags being presented to FB when you try do that. I guess FB is taking the second one which is the default XF logo.

I recall something about this when I installed it but cannot for the life of me remember how I disabled the default XF one (Remember I only just took this add-on over.) . Have a look back through this thread for a tip on disabling the default XF og:image tag. I'm on the phone now so it's a bit lumpy.

If I recall then I'll post up. If you find the solution let us know and I can update the FAQ.

You have two og:image tags being presented to FB when you try do that. I guess FB is taking the second one which is the default XF logo.
AFAIK Facebook will always try to use the first found og:image tag as long as the image match the required resolution and size limit.

You might be right there - I'm not sure if it tries multiple types.

However, your point is valid though - I did not check.
The OP image is too small for FB to use I believe.
1.jpg

I had the problem where it kept using the default forum image too. Same as other people here, I noticed there were two OG:image tags in the page.

To fix it, I edited the PAGE_CONTAINER template, found the line:
<meta property="og:image" content="{xen:helper fullurl, @ogLogoPath, 1}" />
and commented it out like so:
<!-- <meta property="og:image" content="{xen:helper fullurl, @ogLogoPath, 1}" /> -->

That meant it was only getting the og:image from the open_graph_meta template, which this plugin was replacing properly.

Hope this helps someone else and thank you for a great plugin.

Top Bottom