Facebook Like and Forum Like

Mark.B

With both these features having the same name, do you think it would be better to have the Facebook Like button utilise the Facebook option to have it say "Recommend" instead?

I can see the current situation causing confusion for the uninitiated.

I think there is enough separation with the UI that is not too big of a problem, but it's interesting point. I didn't even really notice the Facebook lite feature until I saw this thread.

I'm not sure if the API allows you to edit the "Like" button provided, but I think "Share" would be a better verb, since you are sharing the content to a different social context.

I think there is enough separation with the UI that is not too big of a problem, but it's interesting point. I didn't even really notice the Facebook lite feature until I saw this thread.

I'm not sure if the API allows you to edit the "Like" button provided, but I think "Share" would be a better verb, since you are sharing the content to a different social context.

Facebook allows you to specify either the word "Like" or the word "Recommend" using the attribute:
action="like"
or
action="recommend"
in the code. But those are the only two. I'd prefer "Share" as well actually. But it can't be done.

Using "recommend" sounds like it would remove the ambiguity. However, my guess is that many (most?) Facebook users will not have come across "recommend" often enough, and may take it to be completely different to "like".

I believe there's actually a 'Share' function in the Facebook API, but it's different from the basic 'Like' system we have here, and requires more user input.

Top Bottom