Facebook Integration REMOVAL

You have to explicitly enable the login stuff, as it requires that you register a Facebook app to get a key.
Can you clarify this a bit more Mike?

So out of the box the Facebook login won't work, we will need to get a key and upload it to the server?

How does one go about getting a key?

Hmmm, that app wants to connect to my personal Facebook account.
Seems a bit odd considering I just want a key to upload to my server, which has nothing to do with my personal account.

I'll probably give the Facebook login stuff a miss then.

Seems a bit odd considering I just want a key to upload to my server, which has nothing to do with my personal account.

You can create a Facebook account specifically for this purpose, but there's really no need. Your application is simply created and managed by your account, there's no other association really.

I'm not convinced Facebook integration is in the best interests of forum owners ... in the long term it can be suicidal in my humble opinion.

You can create a Facebook account specifically for this purpose, but there's really no need. Your application is simply created and managed by your account, there's no other association really.
Aha, thanks for that.

I'm not really a big Facebook user (in fact, my wife pretty much manages my account for me as I can't be bothered :D) so wasn't really sure on the app thing.

Brogan something to consider ... A quote from the owner of Facebook himself as found on TechCrunch.com

" The IMs and emails were published today by Silicon Alley Insider, which also published much more inflammatory early Zuckerberg IMs last May,
including the famous IM where a young Zuck calls the first Harvard student users of TheFacebook.com “dumb f@%ks” for trusting him with their personal information. "

I have to agree with Kier, facebook most of the time plays a critical role in the activity on my site, the people that are most active on my forums are connected via facebook and when they check their facebook on their phones and see activity on the site they jump over to see what is happening.

P.S. Twitter is how I fianlly managed to stumble over here ;-)

I am wondering if and how much traffic would increase when also having a Twitter-Login ?
Not sure about the current userbase-number of Twitter, a few million I guess....
I'm not sure how login integration with any authentication source (Facebook, Twitter, OpenID etc.) would help drive traffic - the purpose of that is to ease the registration and login process.

However, integration of 'sharing' facilities to Facebook (such as the Like button) and Twitter (such as 'Tweet this') are great traffic drivers, and more will be integrated as time permits.

Top Bottom