1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Facebook integration questions

Discussion in 'XenForo Questions and Support' started by StoveBolts, Oct 3, 2013.

1. StoveBolts

StoveBolts Member

I'm getting ready to associate our site with our facebook page.

Can somebody tell me how it integrated into facebook?

I noticed that in the options, you had like and recommend. Does that change the "Like" option under posts to "recomend".

If somebody "likes" a post, does it get put on the facebook page? Does it get put on their page if they have their facebook account associated with the site?

How does this work with the recommend feature? Is that just for threads, or for posts too?

Soo many questions!
  2. Jeremy

Jeremy XenForo Moderator Staff Member

Facebook integration is more about registering then anything about posting to a users timeline.
  3. Brogan

Brogan XenForo Moderator Staff Member

As Jeremy said, the only options related to Facebook are to Register/login and recommend/like content.

This page of the manual deals with the registration/login functionality: http://xenforo.com/help/facebook/

There is no option for that in the core software.
    There may however be a resource which can help: http://xenforo.com/community/resources/
    Chris D and StoveBolts like this.
  4. StoveBolts

StoveBolts Member

Thanks for your replies,

Let me step back for a moment.
    I'm getting ready to create an app in facebook for our site per the resources link @Brogan just posted.
    Once I get that completed, it looks like I then I have the information needed to integrate our site with facebook right?

Inside the facebook integration interface, I see like and recommend. Is this simply the text that is displayed in the facebook icon? For example, I see "recommend" on xenforo or is an either / or option? Honestly, I don't know the difference between like and recomend and how that works on facebook.

This brings me to my next question. Brogan, I'm going to like your post above. Does that get posted on facebook anywhere, or is it just a notice to you that I like your last post?

If I use the facebook icon below that says recommend, what happens if
    1. If have not set up my facebook account with this forum?
    2. I have set up my facebook account with this forum.?

What about the likes for individual posts?
    1. If have not set up my facebook account with this forum?
    2. I have set up my facebook account with this forum.?
    Brogan likes this.
  5. Brogan

Brogan XenForo Moderator Staff Member

Yes, that will allow people to register and login using their Facebook account.

It may also change the text on your Facebook wall, I haven't tested it.

Likes on content on the forum are restricted entirely to the forum.
    I have Liked your post above so you can see what happens.

They are unrelated.
    Clicking on Like/Recommend just posts it to your Facebook wall.
    Associating your Facebook account just lets you see who else has done so here: http://xenforo.com/community/members/

There is a block below the Staff Members block which lists all your Facebook friends who have done so.

Completely unrelated to Facebook.
    As above, it is only related to forum content.
    ForestForTrees and Chris D like this.
  6. StoveBolts

StoveBolts Member

Thanks! That's a big help!

Next question.
    Does that mean they can register with their facebook account?
  7. Jeremy

Jeremy XenForo Moderator Staff Member

Yes, that is what Paul said.
  8. StoveBolts

StoveBolts Member