Expiring Warning is Unbanning Users

Harpers Tate

I'm not sure whether this is a support-type question or a bug. I'll start here anyhow....

This seems to be about data that was imported when we migrated from vB to XF. I can't confirm either way whether it would apply equally to "new" data.

In both old and new systems, our Warnings and Warning Actions setup is/was/always has been such that when a user's point score passed a threshold, they were added or moved to a (restricted) UserGroup for a defined period. (We have never deployed the alternate method whereby a user's restrictions were in place while their points were over a threshold and reverted when the points reduced below it.)

So, in theory, there is NO action that should be triggered when, say, a Warning expires.

In addition, the Warning Actions are/always were to add or move users to restricted groups short of a full ban. No warning action ever triggered a full ban. Full bans were always manually applied (or via the Spam tool).

In XF our fully banned users are both flagged "Banned" and in a secondary UserGroup (= Banned) with practically no permissions.

I did a search and found several users who were without the "Banned" flag but who were in the Banned usergroup. (So, no risk; but no user should be in this state).

I checked notes and these should have been fully banned PERMANENTLY some time ago. No scheduled expiry.
I checked the Change History in the AdminCP and I see that the banned flag was recently lifted. The change tab reports this as having been done by the user himself, which I suppose really represents a system action of some sort.
Comparing the timestamp of this unscheduled action, I see that it coincides with the expiry of a Warning.

So I guess that, somehow, the expiry of the warning is causing the Banned flag to be lifted. This should not, of course, be happening.

If this is an old action, then that would have come across with your import. As AVF didn't use the official importer, it's certainly possible that there was an issue there (or something that needed to be customized to your setup) that logged the action as an over-threshold type of action.

Thanks.

Whilst the expiry of the Warning itself is "old", that is all that should be happening; it shouldn't have represented or triggered (etc) any action on the User's Groups or Ban status.

I mostly meant that if the action pre-dated the import, then the importer would have been the one to create the associated warning action trigger. Nothing will happen when a warning expires unless there's a trigger record, so I have to assume that was created incorrectly.

Top Bottom