Everything is paid

I can second the anti to the notion of auto installing but for the reason of me wanting to download my files and store them locally and install them at my leisure.

I have to say though...if you can't ftp to a directory on your own server, upload some files, and then import->browse to file-> run import then you need to get better versed or hire someone to manage your back end stuff for you.

The App store concept is a complete waste of time in this application...it will also not make anything more competitive or better for anyone and will not change the amount or kinds of apps produced and if anything in my opinion it would more than likely reduce the amount of resources sold.

In analogy...Paul would like to get straight A's while doing no studying or work...Peter now has to do twice as much work and not even be getting ahead....You can't rob peter to pay paul

My anti piracy measures are much more powerful than they would be if sales were handled by a 3rd party system, and I'm not about to throw away 30% of profits and open myself to piracy for the sake of a faster installation time
Link removed.

How do you know what the anti-piracy measures would be on the fictional system I described?

30% of the profits for 100% more sales? Maybe you should talk to a successful App Store Dev before jumping to conclusions about how the (fictional) system would work for you. Better yet, talk to an iOS Dev who only sells their app outside of the App Store and only for jailbreaked devices, and compare that to a Dev in the App Store.

Last edited by a moderator:
i will buy no addons with that system regardless to who says what...talking to someone else does not change the point....the app store is one of the reasons I am moving away from my i devices and not going investment heavy in an apple computer...

maybe you should talk to one of the thousands of devs who have gotten ripped of by the app store system.

As the author of the thread suggesting an improvement to the add-on installation system - I actually don't agree we need some sort of app store type system. And certainly not one with revenue sharing.

My suggestion was just to make it easier for people to install add-ons, as threads generated here as a result of mistakes being made seems to be quite high. Yes a fancy app-store front end built in by default would solve this too, but I just feel that's over complicating things. I also fear it may make people less inclined to come here if they need support.

Yes, that seems to be working out well for you: <removed>

Really old and buggy version so yes it is :)

And if I really wanted to I could make a list of the sites using that exact copy

30% of the profits for 100% more sales? Maybe you should talk to a successful App Store Dev before jumping to conclusions about how the (fictional) system would work for you. Better yet, talk to an iOS Dev who only sells their app outside of the App Store and only for jailbreaked devices, and compare that to a Dev in the App Store.

That's not really a valid analogy, as not only do jailbroken users likely have a higher technical skill level, they are also more likely inclined to piracy (if it's anything like Android rooting).

Considering all users here have the capability to upload some files and install an addon xml file, I don't think I'm cutting off any customers. And I don't think the addon payment process can get much easier than 'click button, instantly on paypal, instant delivery via email' - no silly registration process or anything like that

Considering all users here have the capability to upload some files and install an addon xml file, I don't think I'm cutting off any customers. And I don't think the addon payment process can get much easier than 'click button, instantly on paypal, instant delivery via email' - no silly registration process or anything like that
Please don't get me wrong, the current system works for just about everyone currently on the XF community site. But if XF wants their product to go their current core of the "I know the differences between vB and XF and I'm choosing XF", I think my suggestion would help bring in the developers and customers to make that happen.

I'm not necessarily talking about the developers currently making add-ons for XF; you guys are a great core of developers to build from, but I surely hope that you aren't the only ones who will be interested in developing for XF in the future. And many of those people see the business value of a centralized, shared revenue system. My point with the 30% number was not to suggest XF take 30% away from your income; my point was that you are undercharging for your contributions and that the 30% would be easily made up through price increases and increased sales. Again, professional entrepreneurs would flock to the stability of a system like the one I suggested. And those people spend lots of cash to make their sites as good as they can be.

To Yorick's point, I completely agree. There, at minimum, needs to be a framework for how add-on zip file directories are constructed. A mandatory README.txt file with installation instructions, link back to the RM thread, etc.

releasing them for free then changing them to paid once the hook is in.
This is totally fair - if not the best way to purchase something. You can try it out and once it is mature ... you pay for it. You've tried the addon and know the developer's commitment to it ... and then can decide if it is worth it.
add to this the policy that i cannot post a fix for a broken addon or update an abandoned addon... it starts to look pretty bleak.
This is definitely a MAJOR problem. Something needs to be figured out here to protect the community.

Thankfully, everything here on XenForo is not paid.

You want a prime example of my opinion of paid modifications dominating a market... Visit Invision Power Services / IPB and you'll notice almost everything (vast majority) worth having is paid. They even have people trying to charge a fee for small template edit instructions.

I personally support free open source because there are some things I just don't believe people should need to pay for.

• Converters (any kind)
  • template edits (not saying complete skins, but rather xml or manual file edits or patches)
  • foolishness (say for example, charging a fee to add support per media.. ie... Youtube)
  • overpriced (beyond fair value or the affability of the average person)
  • excessive copyright (for example, adding to many links and even ads)
These things will and have prompt me to start working toward developing or hiring someone to develop a free open source alternative.

You'd be surprised on how many people are willing to help you complete such goals (knowing they too will enjoy it freely). :)

Now with this said...

There are many good developers who do make outstanding paid products and who I feel they should be supported. And I personally, have no desire in developing an alternative toward them.

Once I clean this up and finish the functionality in the version I am working on, I will be posting this up in the resources...

I am posting it up Vis to show that there is a difference between a small template edit...and then the following....which is a giant template edit... (I know you know the difference but wanted to point it out to those who don't find it obvious)

(funnily enough it is a template edit and a splash landing for a youtube addon )

http://xenxero.info/sub-directory/index.php?pages/Youtube/

Top Bottom