Event Calendar

For the future Calendar: Buddy Birthdays
(originally posted as a suggestion for vBulletin)

Another thing popped into my mind. What is one of the complete and utterly useless things in a board like vBulletin? Well... click on the Calendar and you know it.
wink.png

By default on every single day you see Birthdays presented from your boardmembers. I mean... come on, who wants to know?!
tongue.png
In my opinion such an overview of birthdays is pretty useless. As a regular boardmember I don't care if Miss. Marple has her birthday on July 29th if I check the Calendar on July 2th. At the most I am only interested in the birthdays of the people I have a bond with really. It is just like in real life...when you are sitting in the loo, staring at your birthday calendar in front of you, there are only entries on it from your family and dearest friends.

Sitting in the loo, staring at my laptop, and visiting my vBboard Calendar there are all these birthdays from every single boardmember all over the place!

Okay, and now the solution.
smile.png
Since this suggestions-thread is all about the vBulletin Profiles, you've guessed it : there need to be an integration (vBulletin really really needs to integrate more of it's modules/functions!) of the Calendar and the User Profile.

Look, as a boardadministrator I don't care at all which of boardmembers have their birthday on which date. Why not? Because vBulletin automatically sends out a birthday-email to my members (which is a great feature by the way!). But, seeing things through the eyes of a regular boardmember I think I would really want to know when my boardfriends have their birthday. Just like in real life. So instead of putting the Calendar shockfull of birthday-entries I think the following will be much more effective:

There needs to be an area inside the User Profile where you -as a regular member- can see which of your Buddies have their Birthday. And I do not mean a mini-calendar. No just an indication like this :

----
GirlyGirl has her birthday in 5 days on juli 31ste.
----

So 5 days before a buddy of yours has their birthday it shows up in your profile! And it keeps counting towards the Big Day. You see, this way you have kind of a birthday-reminder really and it's much more usefull then the big default Calendar stuffed with all the birthdays of people you don't care about.

My site needs to become much more personalized. Since vBulletin (what else?
wink.png
(edit: well... a big chance in the future it's called xenForo ) powers my site : I need it to provide me with those much needed tools.

Your thougts please,
---------------------------------

Things like these are a reason why I need to see Friends back in xenForo. There is a lot of Friends functionality that my members like on Social Networking sites and I am not sure if I understand the concept of 'Followers' fully yet.

Another thing popped into my mind. What is one of the complete and utterly useless things in a board like vBulletin? Well... click on the Calendar and you know it.
wink.png

By default on every single day you see Birthdays presented from your boardmembers. I mean... come on, who wants to know?!
tongue.png
In my opinion such an overview of birthdays is pretty useless. As a regular boardmember I don't care if Miss. Marple has her birthday on July 29th if I check the Calendar on July 2th. At the most I am only interested in the birthdays of the people I have a bond with really. It is just like in real life...when you are sitting in the loo, staring at your birthday calendar in front of you, there are only entries on it from your family and dearest friends.

Sitting in the loo, staring at my laptop, and visiting my vBboard Calendar there are all these birthdays from every single boardmember all over the place!

Okay, and now the solution.
smile.png
Since this suggestions-thread is all about the vBulletin Profiles, you've guessed it : there need to be an integration (vBulletin really really needs to integrate more of it's modules/functions!) of the Calendar and the User Profile.

Look, as a boardadministrator I don't care at all which of boardmembers have their birthday on which date. Why not? Because vBulletin automatically sends out a birthday-email to my members (which is a great feature by the way!). But, seeing things through the eyes of a regular boardmember I think I would really want to know when my boardfriends have their birthday. Just like in real life. So instead of putting the Calendar shockfull of birthday-entries I think the following will be much more effective:

There needs to be an area inside the User Profile where you -as a regular member- can see which of your Buddies have their Birthday. And I do not mean a mini-calendar. No just an indication like this :

----
GirlyGirl has her birthday in 5 days on juli 31ste.
----

So 5 days before a buddy of yours has their birthday it shows up in your profile! And it keeps counting towards the Big Day. You see, this way you have kind of a birthday-reminder really and it's much more usefull then the big default Calendar stuffed with all the birthdays of people you don't care about.

My site needs to become much more personalized. Since vBulletin (what else?
wink.png
(edit: well... a big chance in the future it's called xenForo ) powers my site : I need it to provide me with those much needed tools.

Your thougts please,
---------------------------------

Things like these are a reason why I need to see Friends back in xenForo. There is a lot of Friends functionality that my members like on Social Networking sites and I am not sure if I understand the concept of 'Followers' fully yet.

First; Followers are friends, but you're following their actions on the forum. Its a lot more social then just a friend system.

I think this would be a great feature for a calendar as well; I often don't care about -everyones- birthday, and only about the people I know.

First; Followers are friends, but you're following their actions on the forum. Its a lot more social then just a friend system.

Can you explain to me (I am not familiar with Twitter: do not use it, so I don't get the concept of Followers yet) why it is more social then just a friend system? I mean, the Friends functionality in Facebook and all other social networking sites I know are pretty social, aren't they?

I haven't actually used he follower system, and have gone off what I have read (I don't like being bombarded with alerts :().

However, with the friend system on vBulletin all that it really did was display the user on your profile, with this you're actively able to follow what they do.

I'm using alerts as a replacement for being bombarded with emails. You don't get alerts when people you're following perform any actions, they're just shown in a news feed.

IF, and hopefully if a calendar is considered...
Please integrate it with the Forum as well....

i.e. Tie a new calendar entry to a forum, etc...

As you can imagine, on a event driven site, when I create a calendar event and then a forum post about the event, users start talking about who's going, what to bring, directions, etc....

If would be nice to have this all in one and integrated between the calendar display
Calendar
|---------|
24 Dec
Christmas Party (popup/hover box: 45 Views, 78 Comments, 19 RSVPs)
|---------|

Also within the forum, if you designate a forum to "collect" your calendar entries, if you could sort it by the event date. This way, if I preload my event sites with a bunch of events - all the way out to a Christmas party, but then add events throughout the year, the events stay in the order of the day is will happen, rather than the date the forum post was submitted.

Again folks - just throwing out my (gee I wish I could do this) ideas. I know this platform has a ways to go before we drive down these roads.

Have it so that when a member creates a calender event, it shows up on his followers 'Your News Feeds' followed by a quick link to 'attend'

Have it so that a seperate usergroup (like admins) or another usergroup you give ability to, has the ability to add an event and it shows up on 'Everyones News Feeds' followed by a link to 'attend'.

Also have it so that when your followers and people you follow select 'attend' to a particular event, it shows up on 'Your News Feed' that so and so, and so and so are attending 'this' event... 'click here if you would like to attend as well'.

wink.png

tongue.png

So what about foreign based communities using this software? A Happy Birthday message actually means a lot to somebody who is living away from home. Think outside the box Grover.

Top Bottom