Event Calendar

I had expected that we would be able to keep our vbulletin calendar events, but unfortunately this is not the case. The FS events addon failed. I would really like to see an Events Calendar in the core or as an Official XenForo addon. Something similar to FS events or IPS Calendar.

I would really like to see an Events Calendar in the core or as an Official XenForo addon. Something similar to FS events or IPS Calendar.
This has been wanted for sometime, and unfortunately I just don't see it happening anytime soon. XF have already said 2.0 is feature parity, and I'm not convinced that Events across the community would be considered a priority for 2.1 (as much as I would like it to be!). Being that for most larger/broader communities that have the need for an Events system, an XF 2 upgrade is likely 12 months away then that really doesn't bode well.

That is my expectation as well. But I am getting the impression that there are considerable numbers of admins migrating from xenforo to IPS because it offers functionality they need. The same for Burning Board which also has a Calendar App.
Many Xenforo sites have come from vbulletin with Calendar. So I would like to highlight the need for this.

Hopefully the XenForo team can find an alternative way to add an Events function. We didn't see the Media Gallery coming. Well, at least not long before. So there may be ways. Maybe by expanding the team. That's up to them.

But I am getting the impression that there are considerable numbers of admins migrating from xenforo to IPS because it offers functionality they need.
Seeing that also. Given the lack of roadmap or future functionality for XF, I can see why that's a very real opportunity and option that cannot be ignored.

Hopefully the XenForo team can find an alternative way to add an Events function.
I'm all out of hopes at the moment.

I think that, if they have them in their internal road map, we are not going to wait for 2.1 to have more 1st party add-ons.
xf2.1 will include more core features, 1st party add-ons run on a parallel track.

An Events Manager is very important for many many communities these days.

Reposting from this thread

From an administrator perspective I'm relatively new to XenForo having migrated from SMF earlier this year. What XenForo offers in general is great (and XF 2.0 is looking even better!) but I do miss having a proper calendar. In XenForo 1.x certain calendar-type addons have addressed this in some capacity (particularly AndyB's addons - thanks!) but I can't help but think it would be much more efficient (and allow for even more addon possibilities) if calendar/event type addons could extend an official XenForo calendar system and content type rather than each one having to lay down the same kind of foundations.

Assuming it were to be a fully-fledged official addon, perhaps any thread integration could 'borrow' ideas from the existing media gallery and resource manager addons for consistency, such as an 'attending' sidebar block similar to XFMG's "In This Media" block or perhaps a link bar similar to XFRM (Event details / Attending / Discussion). Here's a mock-up of how it could look:
xenforo-2-event-calendar-mock-up-unofficial-launch-party-just-for-pretend-jpg.155705

Me too, I expected XF2 will be released with calendar
They have always stated that XenForo 2.0 would be focused on feature parity with XF 1.5 (with a better framework for ongoing development) so a calendar shouldn't be expected for this release. Maybe for 2.1 though.

One of my sites runs FS Events. I guess I will not be upgrading that one to XF2 for a long time because of this. Not unless a reliable quality developer will be releasing an events addon or the XF team creates an official events addon. If that doesnt happen then I will be forced to migrate it to IPS.

It doesnt have to be complex. A first version that does the same as FS events would be great.

Nearly 9 Years later, still nothing :(

6 Months after their initial announcement to to make it easier to create events reddit has just announced some new beta events features

Back in September we announced a limited beta for adding event metadata to posts and grouping posts together. We’re excited to start rolling out these features to all eligible communities starting today.

Why did you build this?
Events — like the Game of Thrones Season 8 premier, Rocket League Season 7 — are huge on Reddit, but it’s often hard to find an event post until after it happened and it can quickly get swept away by the feed. We set out to make mods’ lives easier and empower them to be more creative with how to schedule and capture events in their communities. We’re building new tools that are more accessible than AutoMod scheduler so that anyone can host an event. We’re also launching a new way to curate groups of post together so that it’s simpler for your community to discover and navigate between related posts.

Our hope is that you’ll host more events with less effort and curate the moments that are important to your community for all time.

What are events and collections again?
  • Events are posts with time/date metadata associated with them. They help bring awareness about upcoming events in your community that users can also follow to get a reminder when they start.
  • Collections are mod-curated groups of posts. They make it simple to put together related content in one place so that users can quickly navigate between other posts in the collection. Users can also follow the collection to get notifications when an upcoming events starts or when new posts are added.
How we’ve improved events and collections during the beta
We’ve made a ton of improvements based on beta community feedback and suggestions. We surveyed, interviewed, and exchanged feedback in our test subreddit for about 6 months. These features would not be here without your guidance and help beta mod teams – thank you. Here’s the highlights:

• Make any post an event — your mod team can add event start time/date info to any new or existing post in just a few clicks. The events start time is shown and changes depending on the event status
  • Keep your community informed — users can follow your events and collections to be updated when you’ve added posts or an event is starting soon on the apps and web
  • Collaborate with your whole mod team — collections and events were built with your mod team in mind. Any member of the team with post permission can view/create/modify any collection or event in the community
  • Curate more expressive collections — we’ve redesigned the experience so you can customize and showcase your posts in the best light: multiple episodes this season? Try the timeline layout. Lots of memes to showcase? Get excited for a new (warning GOT spoilers) gallery layout rolling out in a few weeks on web (and mobile soon thereafter)
  • Up to date event link sharing — wish you could share an announcement post on email/text/Twitter, etc and swap out the link for the actual event post when the time comes? Try adding your announcement post to a collection and sharing the collection URL. We’ll automatically direct users to the most recent event post in the collection so they get to the most relevant post always
  • Public APIs — Is our GUI not cool enough or do you want to integrate these features in your app? You can use the new events and collections APIs to take a number of these actions now yourself
  • ANNNNDDDDDRRRRROOOOOIDDD — have the best mobile OS in the world? Whether you believe I meant Android, iOS or WebOS, users on both iOS and Android will be able to use events (collections coming soon to Android)
Also a new beta to announce
Schedule when to submit your post & setup recurring posts (beta starting soon) — have a weekly Monday Memes thread that you manually have to click “post” on or is there only one mod on your team that knows how to configure AutoMod scheduler? Soon anyone on your team can schedule when to automatically submit posts or setup a recurring post submissions. All of them are editable by anyone on your team until submission. Sign up for the beta by commenting on the top comment below

We’ll be hanging out in the comments for the next few hours to answer your questions.

h/t https://media.giphy.com/media/pba3eYF9b3IGM9hiuv/giphy.gif

UPDATE: Adding collections and events help center links.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

It really would be nice to have a modern, integrated XenForo calendar (whether in the core or as an official addon, it doesn't matter). Fingers crossed for a surprise with XF2.2, maybe?

If you think about it, a calendar can come in many forms. Perhaps it is unclear what XF customers actually want with a calendar, and this is why there has been no official addon/core feature to now? Just speculation. If you desire an official calendar, how would your site use it and what kind of features would be crucial? Don't forget to like the first post (y) just as 58 people (and counting) have done :).

Rather than have a calendar awkwardly exist only as a dedicated calendar page, I would like to see it extend certain core XenForo functions by placing more emphasis on time - e.g. reminder notifications (alerts/push), RSVP deadlines (for events that have a member registration requirement), or perhaps the ability to associate XFMG media (and/or whole albums) with a particular event, with event title or date shown somewhere (e.g. via a widget). Or even time-based criteria for changing certain things about the event, such as adding a specific prefix to an event once date criteria is met, e.g. 'Event registration opens on date: X', 'Event thread opens for replies on date: X'.

One day ... (we can only hope)

I changed my stance on this a little bit. At this point and day we are reaching 2020 soon, we shouldn't encapsulate forums from the outside world.

What I mean is, Facebook Events and Google Calendar are too big to ignore.

If XF (or anyone else) should ever consider making a calendar, it MUST be tightly integrated to those two platforms. Like the "share" feature, we need to be able to share events/calendar dates to those platforms (automatically) and/or can get entries from those platforms to our forums. All synced up.

They won the war, we need to make sure to stay relevant by using the features all masses use.

We always could open a thread, put in the info we have in to the thread and voila, we have our events/calendar. Threads are basically already events/calendar. The official addon (or a 3rd-party one) must go way beyond this.

he ability to associate XFMG media (and/or whole albums) with a particular event

I do that with Sonnb's XenGallery and XenAtendo 1 by creating an album for event meetups that anyone can add media to.

The Map feature of XenGallery is great for this too, because you can then associate an album or individual photos with a location, which will then place a pin on the Google Map so you can browse and look at media from events around the world.

I think calendar and events features are very niche, honestly. The majority of communities will not use or need this, so it’s better off as a 3rd party add-on.

It’d be bloat and too niche for the core, and for additional official add-ons there’s other add-ons that would be more beneficial instead of a calendar imo

You would be surprised at who all could use a calendar. I too wish they would get a calendar done. That and the Pages app are two things I miss on my XF site when compared to my IPS site.

Top Bottom