XF 2.0 Error message when changing Avatars

RSI

Not sure if this is a bug but every time I go to change mine or someone avatar I get the error below. The avatar changes, but I get the error. It happens when uploading one. It happens after it uploads when hitting Okay.

Oops! We ran into some problems.
Oops! We ran into some problems. Please try again later. More error details may be in the browser console.

Last edited:
And the error details in the browser console were?

I turned off CloudFare too and it makes no difference.

Failed to load resource: the server responded with a status of 400 ()
defaultAjaxError — core-compiled.js:872

PHP: <html>
<head><title>400 Bad Request</title></head>
<body bgcolor="white">
<center><h1>400 Bad Request</h1></center>
<hr><center>cloudflare</center>
</body>
</html>

And then...
}
console.error("PHP: " + a.responseText);
XF.alert(XF.phrase("oops_we_ran_into_some_problems_more_details_console"))
},

That is a CloudFlare error though, so nothing to do with XF:
Code:
<center><h1>400 Bad Request</h1></center>
<hr><center>cloudflare</center>
There's some info about the causes of 400 errors here:

https://support.cloudflare.com/hc/en-us/articles/115003014512-4xx-Client-Error#code_400

We've not had anything similar reported before by CloudFlare users that I can recall, and we use CloudFlare here without avatar upload issues, so it would seem to be something specific to you as far as I can tell.

Certainly we'd need to see what errors are produced with CloudFlare switched off, at least.

The error is the same whether I pause CloudFare or not. It still happens with it bypassed.

I also disabled all of my add-ons and tried it too after everything unfroze and no change. The new ACP is a real dog of a resource hog and is very slow. I think it's because of the new add-on icons and the statistics graphs. Is there any way to turn all of that extra junk off so it will stop slowing down the ACP page loads, it's absolutely horrible and I often have to refresh my browsers cache to clear up the pages so they will display properly.

You wouldn't still get a CloudFlare error message if CloudFlare is switched off.

There's no reason all that "junk" should cause any sort of resource issues. All those features are doing is loading graphs from already cached data and images which are stored on the file system.

No, the ACP is very slow and sometimes I have to refresh the pages several times to get all of the add-on icons to display for example. I think if there was a way to turn those off along with the statics graph it would definaltey speed things up, at least on my end. It's probably my server resources are limited via the hosting company for what XF2 needs while in the ACP.

Anyway, yes, I still get the error with CloudFare disabled so not sure what that means other than it's probably not due to CloudFare.

There's no way to switch those off, and performance issues there are unexpected so I recommend troubleshooting that with your host.

Until you can remove CloudFlare from the equation (so it is no longer returning an error) we can't know whether it's CloudFlare or not. If it's returning an error, it's clearly still enabled.

By the way I just got back home from eating dinner and what I was saying about the ACP being really slow is real. I just went back to the add-ons page and like always one or more of the add-on icons had trouble displaying and it threw the error below in the log. This is an everyday thing. I hope someone comes up with an ACP add-on that can turn the unessasary eye candy fluff stuff off. If not, then I may have to migrate over to another forum software besides xenforo. This is going to be a real problem for me and I never had the max_user_connections errors with XF1.5

Code:
Server error log
ErrorException: Fatal Error: Uncaught XF\Db\Exception: User me_xforum already has more than 'max_user_connections' active connections in /home/me/public_html/src/XF/Db/Mysqli/Adapter.php:160 Stack trace: #0 /home/me/public_html/src/XF/Db/Mysqli/Adapter.php(28): XF\Db\Mysqli\Adapter->makeConnection(Array) #1 /home/me/public_html/src/XF/Db/AbstractAdapter.php(51): XF\Db\Mysqli\Adapter->getConnection() #2 /home/me/public_html/src/XF/Db/Mysqli/Adapter.php(113): XF\Db\AbstractAdapter->connect() #3 /home/me/public_html/src/XF/Db/AbstractAdapter.php(410): XF\Db\Mysqli\Adapter->escapeString('options') #4 /home/me/public_html/src/XF/Db/AbstractAdapter.php(388): XF\Db\AbstractAdapter->quote('options') #5 /home/me/public_html/src/XF/DataRegistry.php(137): XF\Db\AbstractAdapter->quote(Array) #6 /home/me/public_html/src/XF/DataRegistry.php(82): XF\DataRegistry->readFromDb(Array, Array) #7 /home/me/public_html/src/XF/DataRegistry.php(225): XF\DataRegistry->get(Array) #8 /home/me/public_html/src/XF src/XF/Db/Mysqli/Adapter.php:160

Stack trace
#0 [internal function]: XF::handleFatalError()
#1 {main}

Request state
array(4) {
  ["url"] => string(47) "/admin.php?add-ons/XFStore/icon"
  ["referrer"] => string(44) "https://mydomain.net/admin.php?add-ons/"
  ["_GET"] => array(1) {
    ["add-ons/XFStore/icon"] => string(0) ""
  }
  ["_POST"] => array(0) {
  }
}

Anyway, I just turned CloudFare off and I will wait a while then see if the avatar error message is still coming up, then I will report back.

Ok, this avatar issue is CloudFare. I paused the service, refreshed my browsers, then waited a while and the Oops! error is gone.

Last edited:
Here's an update, for whatever reason the Oops! error disappeared today when changing avatars even with CloudFare enabled again. Not sure what to make of it, but it must have been some temporary issue on their end.

By the way I just got back home from eating dinner and what I was saying about the ACP being really slow is real. I just went back to the add-ons page and like always one or more of the add-on icons had trouble displaying and it threw the error below in the log. This is an everyday thing. I hope someone comes up with an ACP add-on that can turn the unessasary eye candy fluff stuff off.

Code:
Server error log
ErrorException: Fatal Error: Uncaught XF\Db\Exception: User me_xforum already has more than 'max_user_connections' active connections in /home/me/public_html/src/XF/Db/Mysqli/Adapter.php:160 Stack trace: #0 /home/me/public_html/src/XF/Db/Mysqli/Adapter.php(28):
This tells you part of the issue... your mySQL has max user connections - which means your host will not allow any more connections to occur. This typically indicates you are getting more traffic than your host supports on the plan you are on. Shouldn't really have anything to do with add-ons - but it can have to do with bots/scrapers.

This tells you part of the issue... your mySQL has max user connections - which means your host will not allow any more connections to occur. This typically indicates you are getting more traffic than your host supports on the plan you are on. Shouldn't really have anything to do with add-ons - but it can have to do with bots/scrapers.

I checked all of that yesterday and my max user connections is set to 75. I tried changing it to 100 or more because I know the SQL command to enter, but it says I don’t have the permissions to change it. I never had the problem with XF1.5 so it's not too many connections from traffic or bots, for whatever reason the new ACP is doing it and it looks like it cannot call up and display all of the add-on icons each time because the connections are maxing out like you said.

Anyway, my board itself runs very fast and is fine and I think the page loads are actually faster now than what it was with XF1.5, it's the ACP that is slow and has the issue. The errors never come up with normal board use, it only starts to happen when I enter the ACP. If there was a way to turn some of those widgets off on the ACP's home page like the installed add-ons and statistic graph it would probably solve it. Then being able to turn off the add-on icons so it quits trying to pull them up on the add-ons page itself. All it needs is the text.

I'm going to contact my hosting company this week to see if they can increase my max connections setting, but the point is I shouldn't have to. Also, the Oops! error this thread was about is not related to the issue. That was something else and was on ClouFares end and it disappeared on its own.

Last edited:
I checked with my host already and they said they cannot increase the number of connections past 75. That number is determined by the number of users on the server. There's not really that many people on mine because I'm on a new big disk one that caters to people with large amounts of data. All of the hardware is new and up to date but it's a shared server, so they have to limit it. Not only that, but 75 connections should be more than enough anyway. It's a problem with the new ACP and what it's doing so everyone beware if you upgrade to XenForo 2.0.

Anyone know of another good forum platform software that can import XF2.0 yet?

Have your actually checked to see what is making all the mySQL connections before assuming that it's the ACP?
I also notice a reference to an apparent add-on (XFStore?). Have you checked that that developer?

Last edited:
Have your actually checked to see what is making all the mySQL connections before assuming that it's the ACP?

It has to be the ACP. I can clear the server error log, then log out, then wait until several hours later or until the next day and log back in and there are no new errors in the log. My board itself runs fine and is super-fast, but as soon as I enter the ACP and start doing stuff like trying to get all of the add-on icons to display I start getting the errors and then it slows down to a crawl and often freezes or just gives me a blank white crashed page with a fatal SQL error message. It's probably because it maxed out the connections to the db.

I currently have 34 add-ons installed and on my old XF1.5 installation had around 50. The only reason I don’t have the same amount with the 2.0 installation is because many of those old add-ons are not available for 2.0 yet. It looks like from the error messages I get, which is for a different add-on each time (it's random) that it's maxing out the connections when trying to display the add-on icons or maybe that's a little bit deceiving. However, if not and it's trying to make a new connection for each of the add-ons then that's currently 34 extra connections I never had before and would be crazy. I'm just not fully sure what they are actually doing, but it's obvious it is the ACP that is causing the issue.

Top Bottom